Chapter 5

"Thanks for the pendant Bonnie, I forgot to say thank you this morning," I said and hugged her. I had found the pendant on my night stand before I got dressed for school. Luckily I had found it or I would have known it as soon as I walked out of the house... 

"I thought, that since you always wore the vervain necklace, that you would prefer a pendant over a ring." She grinned at me. 

"It's beautiful, I feel special," I gushed.  

"I saw you in class today you know," she murmured as we walked to the school carpark. "You were fighting it." 

"Fighting what?" I asked.  

"The temptation, I could feel it too, Elena are you going to be alright handling this?" My fingers touched the pendant again, for the third time today, and I slowed my pace. 

"Of course," I answered automatically. "I'll be perfectly fine, it's just hard that's all. What's up with you and Jeremy?" I asked. 

Bonnie shrugged, and sighed. "I don't know where we stand. After yesterday, I have no idea how he feels about me..." 

"You're still in love with him aren't you?" I unlocked my car, and she sighed once again.  

"I...well yeah. Gosh Elena you know me so well," she told me with a laugh. 

"Just wait and see Bon, he'll come around, I think he just doesn't want you to get hurt."  

"Elena!" Stefan came running over to us.  

"I guess that's my cue to go," Bonnie murmured, and waved as she walked over to her car. 

"I'm riding with you remember?" Stefan asked as we both got in the car. 

"I remember Stefan, I was just having a catch up with Bonnie," I told him as he kissed my cheek. 

"Everything okay today?" 

I nodded and reversed the car out of the spot. 

"Perfectly fine," I lied. It was torture. I had to sneak blood in classes when I had a bathroom break. Every student in my class was like a carrot to a rabbit, and I wanted them. 

"I'm glad you're doing good," he said. "You liking your pendant?" I didn't realise I was even touching it again. I put two hands on the wheel and smiled. 

"Yeah, it's different to a ring, that's for sure." I bit my lip. "Look, uh Stefan..." 

He rested his hand on my leg, and looked at me expectedly as I slowed down at a set of lights. "Stefan I had an awful dream last night," I carefully said, tapping my fingers against the wheel. 

"How awful?" 

"If you count ripping someone's throat out awful-" 

"What?" he hissed, his fingers digging into my leg. He sighed in anger. "Did you have any intention of doing that to anyone today? Be honest."  

"No," I said quickly. After that, the ride home was filled with awkward tension, and silence. 

***

"Damon, I killed somebody," I whispered into the phone. 

"What? Elena, don't joke on me," he answered.  

"It was in my dream, I- I told Stefan and he was furious." I paced back and forth in my bedroom, glancing out the window casually. "Does it mean anything?"

"Not necessarily," he murmured. "It isn't a sign of some sort, why? Are you worried you might actually hurt someone?"

"Of course I'm worried Damon! I don't ever want to kill somebody, you of all people should know that by now!" I growled, and Jeremy appeared in my doorway, looking glum. "Hold on a second." I looked at Jeremy and moved the phone away from my ear.

"I'm just letting you know that I'm going to hang with Matt at the Grill," he told me and walked off. Great, now my own brother is avoiding me because I'm a vampire. He's probably so afraid that I'll try to attack him. I wouldn't blame him, I wasn't blaming him, 

"Elena, killing someone is just part of the experience, whether you mean to do it or not. You learn to get over it," Damon said.

"You can be very insensitive sometimes you know that?" I sat on my bed and kicked my shoes off of my feet with a little struggle.

"I think you need something to take the edge off," he muttered. "A night with me." 

"I'm going to have to polietly decline," I told him, but inside I was jumping up and down. "I have to wait up for Jeremy, and what if Caroline decides to show up?"

"Jeremy has a spare key, he can let himself in, and you're making up excuses not to spend time with me. Elena, I know you're giddy to get out of the house, just say yes."

Just say yes... "Alright, fine," I said slowly, sitting up. "Nothing too risky though, and we have to be back before morning," I demanded.

"I'm afraid we might just have to break the rules a bit Elena, you need to set your wild side free. I'll be at your house in less than half an hour, and don't make me wait." He cut the line. 

Where would we even be going? I sighed and opened my wardrobe, looking for appropriate clothes to wear.