Chapter 8

Dancing around with my dress swaying, I glanced behind me to see Damon waiting with his hand out, ready for me to dance with him.  

I giggled shyly as I placed my hand on his and he squeezed it tightly. He spun me around once and kissed my cheek, smiling at me. 

"You look so beautiful tonight Elena," he whispered in my ear, his voice delicate yet husky. If I was human, my pulse would have raced, and my cheeks would have turned to a dark shade of pink. "Nothing is going to ruin the night." 

Damon pulled me close, and my body was pressed against his, our chests touching, our faces only inches apart. I bit my lip, not trying to be flirtatious but because I was nervous. Damon turned my feelings upside down, to passion, desire, and I could feel the electricity racing through my body.  

His fingers trailed slowly down my shoulder and my arm, and then he placed his hand firmly on my waist, smirking at me.  

"Are you ready?" he murmured.  

I didn't have any time to answer before he started leading. I followed with his steps, smiling at him, not taking my eyes off of his. It seemed like we were the only two in the room, but in my peripheral vision there were other guests forming a circle around us with wonder on their faces as they held their champagne glasses.  

We twirled around, my hair spilling around my shoulders, and Damon was in full control. It was perfect. When the song ended, Damon spun me around and pulled me into his chest, so I was facing away from him. His arms closed around me and he sighed happily as the crowd clapped for us.  

"That was perfect," I told him as he let me go and kissed my hand again. 

"Have a good night Elena." He turned with a wink and walked off, grabbing a glass of champagne on the way out of the room.  

I stared at the space where he was at, breathing heavily.  

Then I heard a scream. 

I turned, and headed up the stairwell where the sound echoed from. I pulled my skirt up so I could run faster. My heels clicked on the floor and I opened every door in the hallway. The smell of blood was horrible when I reached the last door. I turned the handle sharply. 

"Elena!" Damon yelled, running up behind me. 

I pushed the door open and gasped, taking a step forward.  

"Elena what-" Damon cut himself off, sneering at the other vampire in front of us. "Katherine..."  

Katherine Pierce was standing straight on, and blood from her mouth was dripping onto the bloodstained carpet. She grinned, showing a set of red teeth. On the floor beside her, was the body of a teenage girl with her neck snapped and her throat ripped, the blood still fresh. 

I narrowed my eyes and grabbed Damon's arm protectively. 

"Lovers already I see?" Katherine murmured, looking at both of us. "Too bad this won't last for too much longer." She moved too fast for me, and in a second she had pinned Damon to the ground and I was thrown into the wall. How was it so easy for her? 

"Goodbye Damon," I heard Katherine say, and I looked up to see a stake in her hand, raised and ready to strike.  

"Katherine no!" I shouted, and sprung forward. I was too late, Katherine Pierce slammed the stake into Damon's heart, and I crumpled to the ground in agony.

"Damon!" I shouted, sitting up and looking around my room. I could hear Jeremy's steady breathing, from the next room, so I knew he was asleep. It was all just a dream, it was all just a fake, surreal dream...

I grabbed my phone from my night stand and called Damon's phone. He answered on the second ring. 

I sighed with relief. "Damon are you okay?" I asked.  

"I'm perfectly fine, Elena why? What happened?" 

"Nothing, just I had a feeling that something happened to you," I murmured. I ran a hand through my hair and smiled, actually happy. 

"Is there something going on?" he asked curiously.  

"Honestly it's fine, just please be careful." 

"I'm usually telling you that," he murmured. "I'll stay safe. Goodbye Elena." 

"Bye Damon," I whispered and he hung up first.

I slid off of my bed and walked to the bathroom, completing my usual routine a little slower than usual. I needed to clear my thoughts, I needed to be cleansed. I wonder how Bonnie's doing today, I thought. I heard Jeremy stir in his bed, and I entered my bedroom, grabbing my phone once again and calling Bonnie. I waited for her to answer, but her phone went to voice mail. 

"Hi, you've reached Bonnie..." her voice continued her message, and I didn't even wait for it to beep, I hung up. Was Bonnie in any danger? 

I grabbed my journal out and pondered my thoughts before writing. 

Dear Diary,

It's me. I just woke up from a terrible dream that I thought was real. Katherine staked Damon, and killed him. I thought something had happened to him, and I'm still scared now. What if it was real? What if Katherine is coming back to Mystic Falls for revenge? I don't want Damon to get hurt, I don't want anyone to get hurt! I fear for my friends lives. Why am I always the one who ends up fretting over things? I'm a vampire, nearly indestructible, I shouldn't care. I need to stop caring. Damon and Stefan can fend for themselves, nothing ever happens to Bonnie and Jeremy has his supernatural ring. Caroline gets around things. I need to stop this. Stop feeling pity for everyone, and focus on how I'm going to live. Now that I think about it, Bonnie acted weirdly yesterday, I need to know what's happening. What's going on with her? Diary, I'm sorry, I have to change. I can't be the sappy Elena who once put my life before everyone elses. Not any more.

I closed my journal and rested my head against the wall. Being a vampire gave me a whole new perspective on things. I haven't even lived yet except for that one night that Damon took me out to the party...my life could be like that all the time. 

A text message on my phone took me out of my thoughts. Elena, I'll be around to pick you up at 5 tonight, be ready. A smile lit up my face. Stefan was going to take me on a date tonight. I hope it's going to be nice. 

My doorbell rang and I padded downstairs to answer the door. I opened it and there was an envelope sitting on the porch. I bent down and picked it up carefully, ripping it open. It was addressed to me, with the same writing as the last one. Have you figured out who I am yet? Of course not, because you're oblivious, as always. I'll give you some time... 

"Elena hey." I turned around and Jeremy was standing at the top of the stairs lazily. 

"Morning Jeremy!" I smiled and took the letter up to my room. I needed to tell Damon about this. When I threw the letter on my bed I grabbed my phone. Damon, I need to tell you something, it might help with the murder. I pressed send, and glanced at the letter that was sitting on my desk from the other day. My phone chimed. Want to come over? Stefan's out. 

"I would love to come over," I whispered to myself and then shut my mouth with a snap. No, no I don't want to go over. I just can't resist... Be there in ten. 

There was no reply after that. I quickly got dressed in something appropriate, and tied my hair up in a high ponytail for something different. "Jeremy, I'm going out!" I called as I grabbed the letters and ran downstairs, out the door and to my car, already unlocking it.