Chapter 3

Authors note: I'll add italics and whatnot when I get on my laptop but my 4s is working for me now.

"Can I talk to you Elena?" Stefan pushed his chair back and stood up, as if I didn't actually have an option. I followed him to the front porch and sat on the steps beside him, leaning against the pole and pulling my knees up to my chest. The sun had gone behind the clouds and the sky was dark, as if a storm was going to come through. I barely squinted.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly.

"I want to know how you feel about this situation, because you're one to bottle the thoughts away to keep others feeling better," he murmured. "Honestly tell me what you're feeling; I can tell something's up."

I pushed my right leg down so it was flat and Stefan rested his hand on my ankle. There was a spark there, but no tingles that I had encountered earlier on with Damon.

"Stefan...I, I don't know what to feel," I stammered, trying to figure out words. What was I meant to say? "I'm completely freaked out about becoming a vampire, should this spell not work." He frowned, and removed his hand to grasp his other.

"Like I said: I'll support you either way, but Elena?" He turned to look into my eyes. "Are you really fine with dropping dead to leave Jeremy with no family any more?" His voice was thick with emotion, and I shuddered at the thought of how Jeremy's life would be without me in it; a parental figure.

"Of course I'm not," I whispered ever so quietly. I was aware that Damon could hear our conversation, but Bonnie could not. "But it would be easier."

Stefan flinched. Seeing a vampire flinch...was something different. He stood up and started pacing back and forth on the grass, not looking at me. I sat up straight, waiting for him to speak. It didn't look like he was planning on it.

"Stefan, you said you would support me," I forced out through clenched teeth.

"What is with your attitude?" he snapped back. "It isn't like you, I'm afraid that you'll be worse if you turn!"

I stood up and stopped in front of him, grabbing his shoulders and looking up into his green eyes. "Stefan, you said you would support me, but those words...they make me feel guilty, because I feel like you won't support me if I make the decision that I feel is right." He sighed and put one hand on my cheek, rubbing his thumb across my skin. "I can see it now, you want me human, or you don't want me at all." I grimaced as I finished, bracing myself for any wrath from him.

Stefan pulled me a little closer to him.

"You don't understand Elena," he whispered, his eyes going slightly glassy as he swallowed. "Being a vampire is like wasting your life away, you get opportunities that you aren't meant to have, you can travel the word a hundred times over and have a different experience each time, you- you don't get to live a normal human life with children, and I know you want a family Elena. To see you not become a mother..." I let his thoughts sink into my brain. "On the other hand, you can live forever with the person that you love." He smiled a little and kissed my forehead. I was about to ruin this perfect moment we had right here, with just one sentence.

"I would rather die than live as something I wasn't born as. If this spell doesn't work, I'm going to let myself die to spare you the consequences of my actions." Stefan growled and huffed as he walked to his car and threw the door open. "Let's hope my brother can talk sense into you!".

I walked inside and let the wind blow the front door shut for me as I sat back down at the table in a huff.

"Two down, one to go until it's just you and me Elena..." Damon murmured. Seeing my expression his face turned serious. "A real argument? I can't believe what I heard there, he actually wants you to stay human, go figure."