Chapter 6: Flying Rumors

I still can't get my eyes off my brand new weapon. It's beauty was beyond words, the way it's curved, the little gemstone planted on the hilt, it's sharpness- 

"Earth to Kate," Brittani said. "What did Eric even do to you?" 

"It's nothing. I'm just... fascinated by this dagger." I held out the blade for Brittani to see. We brushed along a hallway and were headed for the school cafeteria. Fortunately, the stares were starting to wear off. But it still made me uncomfortable. 

"Look, when I got my own weapon, I really liked it. But then I got over it after five seconds! God, you look like you want to make out with it." She said. 

I frowned and then remembered my first five seconds with the dagger. 

"I heard this voice," I told her what I heard after the blade had took form above the water. 

"Oh. That was Lord Hawke," 

"Lord who?" I asked. 

"Lord Hawke," She corrected. "You know, first Wind Guardian." 

"Like Queen Pyra." I chimed in. 

"Yup. It's always like that. Once you have your weapon, he will give you a little yapping why it's what you got." 

"How about you, what did your line say? And what was your weapon?" 

"I think you know," 

"Stilettos?" I guessed. 

"Close, but not that close. I got a bow. You know, the one that I used to save your ass back at my place." 

"What did you name it?" I thought it was a wierd question to ask but Eric called my dagger Bane. Scary name for a pretty blade. 

"I don't name my stuff, okay? It's not like they're pets." She blurted. "Unless they already have names like that CoverGirl lipstick I bought at WalMart." 

We got on the lunch line and ordered mac 'n' cheese while Brittani went for a vegetable salad. 

"You have eating disorder." I told her. 

"I do not!" She protested. "It's just... Daniel told me I'm getting fat." 

"Who's Daniel?" I asked her while swallowing a forkful of mac. 

"Seriously?" She examined me for a second and when she figured I was serious, she shook her head in disbelief. 

"You ungrateful bitch." She said loudly. "He just helped you get away from death last night-" 

"Oh." I said. There were just so much going on that I forgot about him, I just realized right now that I didn't even notice when he disappeared after my audience with the council last night. Daniel, that innocent boy with a smile of a toddler. I hate myself right now. 

"Oh god. I can't believe I forgot about him..." I trailed off.  

"I'll cut you some slack, you didn't exactly met under happy circumstances." 

"Where is he right now? I should at least thank him." I said. 

Brittani pointed with her fork behind me. 

Sitting on a table beside the vending machine, was the dark-haired boy wearing a black flannel shirt. He was talking and laughing with the other guys that were sitting with him. For a moment, I felt like a cruel bully. The kind that gave someone a wedgie if they don't do his homework. In my case, I forgot about someone who delve into battle to protect me without thanking him. I think the latter was worse. 

"Be right back," I told Brittani as I stood up and made my way past the rows of tables. 

When I got close, one of Daniel's buddy noticed me and tapped his shoulder. He looked at him and then at me and the same warm smile that won me over crept across his face without a show of teeth. 

"Hey," I waved at him. "You just left last night, I didn't even had the chance to thank you." 

"Aww. That's sweet, Dude." The boy beside him said and Daniel punched him in the ribs. Standing in front of someone I barely know and at the same time I owe so much to seems kinda embarassing. But I know that I have to make it up to him. 

"You did not need to. I was just doing my job." He assured me. 

"You were amazing last night by the way," 

He raised a dark eyebrow and his friends exchanged looks. 

"Uh. Thanks?" He said nervously. His friends eye's darted from Daniel to me. 

"That came out totally wrong," I insisted "I meant the way you fought the Craggers. It was amazing." 

"No. You were amazing, you wiped out the horde of Haiaks. Right?" He winked. 

"It was nothing." I shook my head and gave him a parting smile. "So, I'll see you around."  

"Yeah, sure. See you around." He said and I ran back to our table. I heard his buddies snickering behind me.  

I just felt so guilty about forgetting him that I just had to do that. I settled into my chair and Brittani had magically replaced her plate of veggies with a pile of meat loaf. 

"You little slut." She said while threatening me with her fork. 

"What did I do?" I asked. 

"You were amazing last night," She did an overly sweet tone it sounded borderline flirtatious. "Oh. Please! You said it like the two of you made out." 

I knit my eyebrows, wondering how she heard that all the way from here. 

"How did-" 

"Newsflash! Soundwaves travel by air. I'm a Wind Guardian so I could hear anything close enough for the wind to carry if I wanted to." 

"Then that means..." I didn't like where this was going. 

"Yup. Congrats, Kate. The whole school now thinks you and Daniel are a couple." 

I whipped around to find that almost everyone where glaring suspiciously at me. Daniel shrugged and held out his hands open. I got the message; There's nothing we could do about it. 

Great. Just when the word about the arrival of the key almost died out, I had set another gossip of fire to spread anew. I buried my face into my palms.