Chapter 3: The Council

The speedboat took us to Pier 11 of New York City. When we arrived at the dock, Police in black trench coats were patrolling the pier. Daniel said they were either Fire Keepers or Shapeshifters that came looking for me. We draped ourselves in tarpaulin that are scattered around the dock and snuck out.

"Where do we go now?" I asked removing the silly clad of advertisement once we're out of sight.

"To the New York headquarters," He said. "the Empire State Building."

"You're kidding me,"

"Nope."

A headquarters full of magical warriors on the tallest building in New York is unimaginable.

We walked together in silence looking for a taxi. I have never went to the city with a boy before so I don't know what to do. Oh I know, i'll just keep my damn mouth shut.  

I stroked my arm. Every minute dragged on like an hour as we walked through the night. I could hear the hum of the city clearly. 

But once the awkwardness reached the top of the meter, I tried to strike a conversation.

"So, how did you found out that you're a Wind Guardian?"

"We don't really 'find out'. We know it. When we reach the right age, our parents enroll us to a school founded by the Institute. They teach us how to fight, use our wind magic and stuff"

"And you are being trained because?"

"You saw the monsters earlier? That is why."

I know its silly but I don't really consider them as monsters. Killers yes, but monsters? I don't think so. Monsters are those who tear you apart emotionally and mentally, those who cuts your entire being until there's absolutely nothing left of you. Take my mother for example.

"Where did they come from?" I asked.

"We are not the only children of the Elemental Spirits," He said with such sadness. "but they are not born from mortal women. They are born from negative emotions. Hate, sadness, grief, envy, and so on. They just somehow took form and appear every once in a while. And its our duty to stop them."

We got on a cab at Water Street. I spent the whole ride calling Brittani but she wasn't picking up. Daniel seemed to notice me and said,

"She'll be alright."

"Will she? I saw the look on your faces when you heard that - what do you call it?" I asked hating myself for screwing up.

"Haiak," He reminded.

"Yeah Haiak. You looked like you saw a ghost when you heard it screamed. Am I suppose to feel better when Brittani was snatched by that?" I spat.

"It's not the Haiak we're afraid of," He sound offended "there's this girl Cassandra," I recognize the name of that girl, the one Brittani mentioned. "She has the power to summon monsters and command them. She was the original choice for this mission."

Suddenly, It all made sense to me. The piece of the jigsaw found it's place.

'I rather not talk about her.'

'They wanted to send Cassandra instead of me.'

'It's not me they're after!'

"She wants me dead," I said "She's the one who called out to those monsters, but why?"

"Both Wind guardians and Fire keepers are confused of your circumstance. This thing never happened before where they are placed in a very awkward situation. Because killing an Elemental Child is not allowed unless it's the Key. But then again you are not a Fire Keeper. So Cassandra came up with a plan to ... kill you in an 'accident'. After that everything will be over. Which the majority of the Council agreed to. But Brittani fought for you, she said you deserve a chance to know what's going on before they lay their decision."