Chapter 4: Everglades School for the Judgmental

"You should have at least tried to be nicer." Brittani said as she led me to my quarters. The hallway seem to stretch to no end as the moonlight passing through the windows cast a formidable shadow of squares on the floor.

"What was I suppose to do? Have a tea party with the people who wanted me dead?" I asked sarcastically and she rolled her eyes. I reminded myself that Brittani was the one who pleaded to keep me breathing.

"It's you I should thank,"

"What are friends for," She said.

We stopped in front of a door with a golden plate label, the numbers 089 were in scripted on a classy font.

"Is this a hotel?" I joked.

"Shut up, Kate."

She opened the door and my heart skipped a beat. It was the most extra-ordinary room I have ever seen. Well, I have only been to two rooms so that doesn't really say much, but come on.

The floor was covered with a dark-red carpet tile, it looked so smooth that I wouldn't mind sleeping on it. The canopy bed was curtained with soft flowing white fabric. The entire room had a comfortable aroma of flowers and mocha.

"No," I mouthed.

We went in and I sat at the edge of the bed, it was so soft that my bottom sunk deep. I feared that If I actually sleep here I might get buried in the mattress.

"Do you want to call your mom?" She offered.

"No, not right now. And besides she won't even notice that I'm gone." I said.

"Okay, I'll see you-"

"Speaking of my mom," I interrupted. "you told me that somebody's parents have to be Wind Guardians for them to be born as one. We don't know anything about my father. Then that leaves my mom. Tell me the truth Brittani, is she a Wind Guardian?"

She sat at the chair beside my bed, the furniture was upholstered in white velvet cushion. She hunched forward and squeezed her hands.

"Your mom... was once a famed Wind Guardian, a legend even. Every young trainee looked up to her. Her fighting stance was flawless. Her stealth, lethal. And her magic, beyond amazing. Atleast, that's what they told me." Brittani said in a dazed tone. It now made sense how every time she saw my mom she would stand straight up and as if any minute she would dive for her feet and started kissing them while saying 'Oh. I'm not worthy.'

"That must have been a long time ago." I said.

"Yeah," she said disappointingly. "And then around a year before you were born. She just left, without a trace. We found her five years later in Brooklyn with a child. The Council didn't doubt that it was hers, they shared the same ivory-white skin. And after that, it all made sense to us why she left."

"What made sense? Why did she ran away?" I asked.

Harsh-cold wind blew past us. I thought it was weird but it's as if the wind said 'Zip it.'

"I'll see you in the morning. Don't stay up late." She looked alarmed.

"No. There's something you're not telling me. Why did my mother fled from these people?"

"See you,"

"Brittani!" I insisted.

She stood up and gave me an apologetic smile as she closed the door.

What could have happened that forced my mom to leave every thing behind? My head is starting to hurt from all of this stuff. I'll think about it tomorrow. But what bothered me was Brittani. She didn't kept anything from me, if she did then it must be something major.