Chapter 16--Wishing There's A Turn Off Switch

Harper

"Hey princess," Vincent smiles at me as he pulls the door into his dorm open. I smile back and give him a quick kiss on the lips. He opens the door wider letting me into his room.

"Hey Vinny," I reply walking inside.

"My mom called," Vincent says as I head to his bed. I take my backpack off and set it on the ground as I climb onto his unmade bed. He smiles at me, heading towards his closet. "She was asking about Thanksgiving."

I instantly sit up straighter and smile. Ever since the Sanders took me in, I've always spent Thanksgiving with them. It's Mr. Sanders' favorite holiday because his wife makes these special biscuits that she never makes during the rest of the year. They sometimes invite close family friends but over the years the one person that's always been at that table with them is me.

"Yes," I instantly say causing Vincent to let out a small laugh. "Yes, I will be there."

"Good," He opens the closet and pulls out his costume for Halloween. "Ta-da!"

I smile as he walks towards me with the costume. I know I'm supposed to feel excited. I'm going to be hanging out with my friends at a party and probably going to have a lot of fun. Even just thinking about it I realize I'm going to have a great time.

But...honestly, I'm disappointed. Vincent starts telling me about how he and Johnny stayed up to bedazzle Penny's costume. I try to act like I'm engaged in the conversation even though I'm thinking about something—someone—else.

My mind keeps wandering off to Logan. I think of his smile and laugh. The way he heavily fangirls over Game of Thrones when we're watching it together. I picture him dancing and think of the Misfits. How they're all going to be together and I'm not going to be with them.

"Harper," Vincent snaps me out of my trance. I look up at him and notice his worried expression. He puts the costume down and sits beside me placing his hand on the small of my back. "Are you, ok?"

"Yeah," I sigh out and lean my head onto his shoulder. "Just...thinking."

"You know you can tell me anything," Vincent urges.

"I know..." I pause briefly. "It's just..."

"What?"

I look up at Vincent. His chocolate brown eyes staring down at me. His eyebrows are pinched together in curiosity and worry. I place my hand lightly against his chin and pull his lips to mine in a soft kiss. Neither one of us takes it to another level. When I break away I put my forehead against his. I feel guilty for wanting to go to a party with the Misfits instead of my friends. But the Misfits are my friends too.

"I just..." I repeat slowly before sighing. "I kind of want to go with the dance studio to their Halloween party."

Vincent doesn't look surprised but he doesn't look overly joyed either. He pulls away with a small frown and softly says, "Oh."

"I love you guys, I do." I try to reason because I know he must feel disappointed. This would be the first Halloween we don't spend together in years. "I don't know...they asked me first and I've never gone to a party with them and I just..."

"It's ok," Vincent pushes a smile.

My eyes widen in surprise, "Really?"

"Yeah," He shrugs. "They're your friends. Your dance squad. Remember the countless times I would drive you to meet up with your dance people back in high school? I know how important they are to you."