Euphoria

A/N the verb tense is going to change from present to past tense now because it felt a little awkward? I might go back to previous chapters to change those to past tense as well but form her out there won't be any present tense writing. Also, there may be poems included in chapters, and if you guys want me to I can make playlists for each chapter? :) Happy reading!

xxZ

The morning light streamed through my windows, interrupting dreams of a certain blue-eyed boy. Today was the day. Today was the last day, and it was the first day. 

It was the last day in the sense that we would walk the empty corridors a final time, we would be surrounded by a feeling of sorrow for the last day. It was the first day in the sense that Louis and I would begin our new adventure, that we would be in the real world together for the first time, and I would have actual freedom. This knowlege filled me with a feeling of euphoria that not even the worst news could get rid of. It also made everything seem a little brighter, and I was able to see a better side to things.

With a backpack filled to the brim with clothing, food, and maybe a journal or two, I stepped out of my room. It was a sad moment, knowing that the paintings hidden in the closet wouldn't be retrieved and that I would not have a chance to paint for a while. Those walls had become familiar to me, a constant in my life, never changing, never leaving, never moving. But I had to bade it farewell sometime, and if not now, when?

I practically sprinted down the stairs in excitement, before remembering that I had to act natural, play it cool. Just as planned, Louis met me at the bottom of the flight of stairs, near the entrance hall where I first saw him. I remember that day clearly, the look in his eyes and the way he made me feel even before I knew him. 

"Hey babe,"

He greeted me happily, a lopsided grin on his face. Louis' hair was disheveled, but in an effortless, presentable way and I loved it. 

He too had a bag with him, slung over one shoulder. His other arm found its way around my waist as we made our way through the building.

Anchorage was a house that had been built out of guilt and sorrow. The walls held the cries of the lonely, and their tales of woe built up with every new rotation of children, brick by brick, making this place what it was. Nothing good came out of this place, and with every tear shed its shadows only grew darker. But on this particular day, the fire within my heart seemed to make everything burn brighter. It made the everything just bearable enough.

There was a quiet din to be hear over our footsteps as Louis and I passed the dining hall. Everyone was mingling with eachother, the absent orphans forgotten as soon as gossip was spread and food was served.

All of a sudden Louis jerked my arm, sending me crashing into a vestibule just off the main hallway. He put a finger to my lips, indicating that he wanted quiet, and I nodded in understanding. The clicking of heels was growing closer, and I could tell you exactly who was approaching.

Ms. Cantrell, the owner of the orphanage, was clomping her way toward us. Fiery red hair framed her head like a flaming halo, but her sour expression did not complete the angelic appearance. The woman had the personality of a viper, quick to strike and merciless. SHe was not to be messed with, and it was best that Louis and I stayed out of her sight.

When she had passed, we continued down the hallway, but this time on silent feet.