And Damien Makes Three

We talk almost all night and make plans as to where the future will take us. We decided that we were going to move to Ottawa which is where Rikk's family was. His mother Muriel was going to take us in, the thing was i knew she hated me, everytime i saw her which was  few times back up in ottawa she gave me the death stare. When i first met Rikk we saw her a few times walking through the mall. So you could see why i didnt want to go up there. Ottawa was a seven hour drive from London. We would have  to wait a few weeks until we got our check and then we would go. We had to leave our things behind, as we had to take the greyhound bus. We gathered up what we wanted to bring wheich was only our clothes and the baby clothes i had aquired. That day we got on te bus headed to Ottawa.

His mom net us at the bus station, she was very happy to see us and was very loving to me, this was weird i thought. She lived in a three bedroom townhouse with Rikks older sister Julie. We got a room and so did Rikks mom and Julie. They made us feel very welcome and loved. But i really knew that deep down they didnt know me and they were trying but in reality i was a stranger to them. It was November 20th 1992 and i awoke to some bleeding, i was so scared. We went to the hospital right away, a neighbour of Muriels named  Rolando drove us to the emergency room. We were checked and told that i was in the early stages of labour and to go home. We took the bus al the way back home and waitied. It seemed like hours and hours i was getting some contractions, but nothing too bad.This was my first and you never really know what to do and how long to stay home. A few hours later we needed to go back, these contractions were getting stronger and i was scared.

When we got to the hospital i was admitted. This skinny older lady was the one who was getting me set up in the room, she turned to Rikk and said "who smokes in here"? i guess she smelt Rikks clothing. And he replied that he was a smoker, she gave him the dirtiest look. Wow people do smoke you know he said. She told him or should i say lectured himabout not smoking near the baby. He knew that you idiot, i thought. I was hooked up to many things and going through labour, wheichw as hard. OH MY GOD< te pain was unbearable, it was nothing like iu thought it was. IT WAS WORSE, i requested an epidural after going through labour for ten hours. Muriel and Julie were there with us, i didnt care about who was there, i just wanted it all over with. Muriel decided to leave around ten that night, as i was progressing slowly. Julie and Rikk stayed, I tried to rest throguh the night but it was hard, I was numb from the waist down and felt nothing anymore. Now it was the waiting game.

Finally after twenty one hours of labour it was time to push, Julie and Rikk held me legs as i pushed for what seemed like hours. It was atleast an hour of pushing then our son Damien was born. At six twelve am he came into the world, a small blonde haired boy. They layed him on my chest and i cried. I could see the happiness in Rikk's eyes. Julie was happy too. There it was i was a mom and it was time to start a new life. I swore to myself that i would make his life a great one, i would never hurt him in any way. Rikk stayed with me all that day and we couldnt keep our eyes off Damien. After my three days in the hospital we went back to his moms house. We had our work cut out for us, not knowing how to care for a baby we would need the help. Rikk's sister Julie had some experievnce with kids as she worked in a daycare centre, and his mom ofcoarse had experience she had three kids herself. We had everything we needed thanks to his family throwing me  baby shower. We decided to move out a few months later , we moved into an apartment building, which was only a one bedroom, this would be our first palce as a family. We took turns getting up through the night with Damien, but he seemed to have colic. He cried alot, we were told by Damiens dr that it was a good idea to have some loud fan in the room. Something that would be louder than his cry, not to drown him out but to make him forget about crying i guess. This was a weird thing but we were going to try it.

We had no fan but we did have a older vacume that was quite noisy. We tried it out that night and it worked. Damien would do his usual cry for food and to change his diaper, but that crazy old dr was right. So here it was a loud vacume in our room going for hours. I wonder what the neighbours thought? "why are they vacuming all night"?  And that our hydro was included in our rent was a good thing!