Twenty-three

It took a minute for the mech to process what he'd been told. All he could think about was the horror it brought to him. He hugged Starscream close and rubbed her wings gently like before. "I'm sorry Starscream. You did not deserve such a thing. We will protect you from him. This I swear to you."

Starscream hiccuped and held onto the mech tightly. Afraid that if she let go that Megatron would snatch her away. "He'll come for me... He won't let me go... He won't even kill me... I wish... I wish he would... Then... then I'd be free." She whispered crying. "I... I want... No! I nee... need my... my trine... my spark... can't take it... not all alone..." She looked up at him with big tearful dull red optics. "Please... please I... I beg of you... help me..."

The bot nodded. "I promise to help you as best as I can Starscream."

Starscream cried softly. "It's... it's too much..." she whimpered. She clutched the blanket closer to her as she laid her helm into the bots chassis. She felt so much better when she was being held to a warm chassis. It soothed her to listen to someone's spark beat. But it still worried her a bit. She didn't look up at the mech's faceplates. "I'm scared... If... if He f... finds out... He'll... I'll... I don't want to bond with him!" She grabbed her helm and sobbed. "I wa... want Sky... Skyfire... b..back..." She covered her lip plates to hold back her whimper. "I want him back... b...but I know... I know... I... w... won't find him."

The bot carefully lifted Starscream's helm. "Why do you think that Starscream?"

Starscream looked up at him with large dull tear filled red optics. "Be... because I saw... I saw him fall... It was so... so cold... I... I tried so hard to find him... but I... didn't have enough energon... I... I was forced to leave him... be...behind." She broke down crying. "And... and when I... came back... they... they wouldn't do a... a rescue mission." She whimpered. "It's my fault! It's all my fault!" Starscream sobbed out loud.

The bot held Starscream as she cried. He rubbed her wings softly to calm her down.

The bots blunt digits on her wings felt very good. Starscream leaned into the bot, tiring herself out from crying. She let it all out and just laid there in his arms warm. She was glad he was here for her. Her optics were heavy but she wanted to ask one thing. "Do... do you think... that if I met you first... things would've been different?... My brothers... the war... everything?" She asked tiredly.

The bot hummed, Starscream feeling the vibrations in his chassis. "I am sure everything would've turned out better. The war would've ended far sooner."

Starscream's optics were almost completely closed. "Thank you... for... everything... Optimus..." She mumbled quietly as she fell into recharge.

Optimus softly smiled. "You are welcome Starscream." He seen her breathing even out and held her there for a few minutes looking up at the stars before gently scooping Starscream up into his arms. He took notice of how light she was before gently carrying her inside the silo. He walked into the med bay and laid her down. When he tried to remove Starscream's servos from holding him, he heard her whimper.

Starscream was fast asleep but she could feel her warmth and comfort leaving her. She whimpered when she felt it trying to go. So instead of letting go, she held on to her warmth mumbling sleepily. "Dont....go....please...."

Optimus was stunned but smiled softly. He gently moved to sit in the chair beside Starscream's bed. He was surprised when Starscream reached out to him. He chuckled quietly as he picked her up and let her lay on him.

Starscream felt herself being moved but quickly latched onto the warmth holding her like a thermal blanket. She nuzzled into the warmth purring. Her helm nuzzled into Optimus' neck cables, curled up into his chassis with the blanket over her. She slept soundly in his arms on top of his lap. Her spark felt lighter and hurt far less. She dreamt of nothing but peace.

Optimus slowly shuttered his optics as well, falling into a peaceful slumber.

Neither knew that Swindle seen everything and could only smile in happiness that his dear friend had someone to look out for her.