The Grown-Up

Danny had spent nearly an hour reading his first diary. He vaguely remembered writing each and every one of them, and as he read the edges of his memory got clearer and clearer. Eventually, though, he had to put the book down. Not only was it exhausting, but he had work to attend to.

"Whatcha readin', Dan?"

Danny nearly jumped at the lazy speech of his roommate. How he had ever gotten paired with this insensitive, immature slob was beyond him. Then again, no one was really paired to begin with; everything in his life had ended up in the arms of chance.

"Nothing," Danny finally said. He took the journal off his lap and got it out of the boy's line of sight while elbowing him in the side. "Too close, by the way. Personal space," Danny smiled a bit as the boy pushed back and gave a chortle.

"Sorry, lad. Didn' mean ta burst in on your private time. That poor parchment's not wet, is it?" the boy said with a mocking ring.

Danny finally cracked his usual grin as he stood. "Liam! Nasty!" He grabbed his pillow on the way up and threw it at the boy's face. 

"Hanna?" His whisper was as quiet as he could bare. He didn't want to miss their rendezvous for anything; regardless and ironically, he doubted he had ever spoken so quiet in a library before. "Hanna, are you here?"

"Here, Danny." He heard her quiet coo a few rows back. He rushed to her, not caring anymore if his footsteps made sound. He was next to her before he knew it, but she wasn't in his arms fast enough. She melted into his embrace.

How long had their affair lasted? Ever since they confessed, he supposed. That wasn't too long ago at all. He closed his eyes and pictured it for a few moments. The sandwiches they never ate, "Elmont", that persistent rain cloud, her lost soaked shoe...

"Stop zoning," Hanna scolded with a laugh. "I've waited long enough to be with you, so I expect you to be here now." Hanna put her hand on his cheek, her beautiful blue eyes deeper than Danny could explain.

He smiled and put his forehead to hers. "Sorry. I was just thinking about how it all started."

She stared for a moment, then smiled and shook her head lightly against him, kissing his lips before settling in his arms again. Both of them were so at peace, neither knew how long they stood and embraced. Danny felt the expensive fabric that held her dress together, probably hand sewn for her specifically. The princess got her own set of tailors and mistresses for that sort of thing.

Hanna had her hand on Danny's back, meanwhile, feeling at the coarser threads that were distributed to probably every single servant in the whole castle. She wondered how many dozens of servants within a mile radius had this exact shirt. She sighed into his shoulder; none of them mattered. This was the only shirt she wanted to feel, if only because it smelled like her beloved. 

Danny took in Hanna's scent through her hair. Beautiful golden hair, even lighter and more brilliantly shining than his; he, the Golden-Haired servant boy, was no match for the princess. It made him smile. "Y'know," he muffled in her hair, "we should've gone to the music room for this. I know the library is safer and stuff, but I'd--I'd wrestle a tiger to play a duet with you right now."

By now, Hanna was manically giggling in his shoulder. "T-tiger?"

Danny burst out laughing when she said it. "Yes," he chuckled. "A full adult male tiger."

Hanna couldn't stop laughing now, and she held onto him even tighter. Partially because she wanted to feel his chest move when he laughed. It was stuff like that which made her fall in love with him in the first place.

Danny shook his head and the two ended up crouching and sitting on the floor. She leaned in his lap so comfortably, he swore she was ready to fall asleep. It was amazing all of this wasn't just a dream, though. The unlikely pair made inseprable. 

------------------------

The character of Hanna Josephine Isla belongs to GaiaOnline user xXMy Name Is BeautifulXx, not me. Their relationship is legit, though. That belongs to both of us. <3