of a Poor Boy

October 10  --  10 'o clock

Dear Self,

You may never realize how poor you really are, but today I think I got a peek. I went out to the market today with Nanna to gather supplies for some party. They like getting things from the city for some reason. Besides the long trip,  the look in our bodyguard's eyes irritated me. 

Them aside, we went to a lot of fun places. I even got to watch Prinsess Hanna try on a dress of her own for the party. She looked very pretty. She came up to me and I thought she was going to let me compliment her when she did something very different.

She started laughing at me. "Poor peasent servant. Where are your nice clothes?" At first I was confused: I had never owned nice clothes and thought she knew that. 

Then I realized something... she wasn't laughing at me. She was laughing at my family. Because guess who was paying for her clothes? Her parents.

I couldn't say anything, I'd be beheaded if I made her cry, so I just stood there as she laughed at me. She stopped very quickly, but it felt like I was standing there for an hour, watching her gloat. Just a few weeks ago I remember playing with her in the garden. We were both kids then, weren't we? 

How can she treat me like a bug now?

Daniel Xavier Ghold

______

Blazing green eyes stared at the thin, old pages. They were so frail, he had to support the entire book on his knees to keep it from falling apart. A smile formed as he read the words written so long ago.