Epilogue

July – 8 Months Later

Todd smiled at Shelly as she stepped into place across from him, then threw a glance over his shoulder at his groomsmen.  Quinn, Sam, Eric, and Brent stood beside him, relaxed and waiting patiently for Robin’s turn down the aisle.

Quinn caught his eye and gave him a wink, wiggling the fingers of his left hand, one of which held its own wedding band.  He and Shelly had been married the month before so for Todd this brought on a sense of déjà vu, just with their roles reversed.

Initially Robin hadn’t wanted a big wedding.  She said she’d had one with David and didn’t need all the flash and drama a second time.  Todd wouldn’t let her refuse.  This would be his one and only wedding, God willing, and he wanted Robin to feel like the queen she deserved to be.  So after much coaxing and cajoling and convincing, they’d planned a big bash only weeks after Shelly and Quinn.

While it took their friends forever to pick a date, Todd had known exactly when he wanted to get married.  Today would be one year, to the day, that he’d known he’d fallen in love with Robin.  How fitting that it had been while he sat at the front of a church, watching her walk down the aisle.

Today however, that walk would make her his wife.

He took a deep breath just as the music changed, trying to keep the swirl of emotions under control.  The adrenaline had been pumping all morning, making him feel like a kid with ADD guzzling Mt. Dew.  Now that he stood at the front of the church, he felt more excitement than nerves.  He wasn’t sure there was a day in his life he’d ever anticipated more than this one.

His eyes focused on the back of the church, watching as the double doors opened and Robin stepped through on John’s arm.  The precarious grip he had on his emotions slipped and he felt his chest swell with a rush of love and gratitude and pride, bringing a lump to his throat and tears to his eyes.

She looked absolutely breathtaking in a strapless, knee-length gown with lace adorning the bust and falling from her waist down the front of the skirt.  She’d left her hair partially down, despite the July heat, because he had requested it that way.  She wore earrings and a necklace, heels and makeup, all things that were so un-Robin and yet she carried herself with an easy grace.

However, as Todd’s eyes met hers and a few tears spilled down his cheeks, it wasn’t the dress or the hair or the jewelry that he found beautiful.  It was Robin – the way she looked at him, totally vulnerable, trusting him to take her heart and nurture it for the rest of their lives.  The fear her eyes once held when she looked at him was gone, replaced only by love and trust and joy.

He saw her chin quiver as she fought her own tears, probably afraid she would ruin her makeup.  He smiled then, trying to reassure her, trying to stop himself from crying.

When John finally stopped beside him, Todd turned, wiping at his face, turning his attention to the pastor.

“We are here today to witness the marriage of Todd Christopher Sanders and Robin Alexis Evans.  Who gives this woman to this man?”

John cleared his throat before offering a gravelly, “Her mother and I do.”  Then he gave Robin a kiss on the cheek before taking her hand and joining it with Todd’s.

The feel of her hand slipping into his sent shivers down his spine.  Even now, after ten months together, he still didn’t think she understood the effect she had on him.  When she looked up at him with a smile, his heart took off at a gallop.  Todd feared he wouldn’t survive the ceremony.

With difficulty he tore his eyes away from Robin and gave his attention back to the pastor as he began speaking.

He did his best to stay in the moment, to focus on each part of the ceremony, giving the ritual the attention it deserved.  This wasn’t just his union with Robin – it was their union with God.  He fully intended to act as God commanded, to be the head of the family, the spiritual leader, to provide and protect for Robin for the rest of his life.