Chapter 2

Robin spent most of October enjoying her freedom and riding Gin before it was time to fatten her up for the winter.  It was good stress relief as the OR had taken on quite a few new hires in the past weeks which increased the work load for everyone as they trained.  Robin had been assigned to mentor one of the new surgical techs, which she enjoyed.  But between teaching her and keeping her concentration during surgeries, she needed a release.

Finally, in the second week of November, Robin gated off Gin’s pasture to keep her closer to the barn and increased her grain for the winter months.  Gin’s coat had already started to thicken as the night time temperatures dropped.

Robin started reading again now that she had the spare time.  It was something she loved to do, especially crime and mystery novels, but the spring and summer months left her little free time to sit still.  She was in the middle of a particularly good book and hated to put it down, so she began taking it to work with her to read over lunch.

She typically packed something and ate in the lounge but occasionally tired of her own food and went to the café a few floors below.  The hospital food wasn’t so bad if you weren’t a patient.  This was one of those days and after she paid for the wrap and a drink she made her way to a table by the windows.  She was halfway through her lunch and her chapter before she glanced up and noticed a man approaching her table.  He seemed familiar, and a bit lost, but she couldn’t place him.

“This place is a little full.  Do you mind if I join you?” he asked, his expression overly hopeful.

Robin felt bad for him, pegging him for one of the new hires at the hospital.  She motioned to the empty chair opposite her.  “Help yourself.  I don’t have a date for lunch.” She held up her book.  “Obviously.”

He slid into the chair with a grateful smile.  “I’m Todd Sanders.  We worked together on that colon case last week.”

Robin snapped her fingers.  “That’s why I know you!  You’re the new anesthesiologist.”

“That’s me.  My only friend usually works evenings and now that I’m through training, I’ve been assigned mostly days.  You didn’t look like you would bite.  I hope you don’t mind.”

Robin chuckled.  “Not at all.  My book isn’t going anywhere.” She saved her page and laid the book aside.  “So, who’s your friend?”

“Quinn Lowry.  He’s a surgical tech like you.”

Robin nodded.  “I’ve heard the name but I can’t picture him.”

“We went to school together.  He tipped me to a job opening here and I applied.  I’ve been staying with him until I close on my own apartment.”

Robin eyed him, wondering what would draw someone with an M.D. in anesthesiology to Lansville.  “What made you come here?  I’m sure you could make better money with a bigger hospital.”

Todd shrugged.  “I’m not in it for the money.  I’ve spent my share of time in bigger towns and cities, did my residency in a bigger, fast paced teaching hospital.  I’m looking for something that feels a bit more like home to lay down some roots.”

“Well, then, I’d say you’ve come to the right place.   Fast paced we are not,” Robin agreed.

Todd grinned and continued chatting as they ate.  Robin was surprised at how easy conversation flowed with a complete stranger.  By the time they headed back to the OR Robin had invited him back to “her table” anytime he wanted.

“You officially have two friends,” she told him, pushing her way through the double doors to the locker rooms.

Todd’s laughter followed her up the stairs and she couldn’t help but smile.