Chapter 3

Despite the late night Robin was up early the next morning to go check on Gin and the dogs.  She threw her sweat pants and boots on and tried to tiptoe past the boys on the couches.  Quinn lay curled up on the floor and Robin grinned, assuming he’d lost the coin toss.

She guessed the driveway held a good two or three inches of the white stuff.  While it was no longer snowing the sky still looked gray.  She took a moment to savor the beauty and the stillness before shuffling around to the kennel.  Butch and Casey were nestled in their beds.  They didn’t even bother to get up when she stepped inside.

“Well, you two sure are lazy.  Enjoying the New Year, I see.”

They perked up when she scooped kibble into their bowls and freshened the water.  Robin laughed as she watched them dig into the food.  “Such piggies.”

When they finished eating she opened the door to let them run in the snow.  They took off, jumping and chasing each other, sending snow flying.

“Those two sure are having fun.”                      

Robin jumped at the voice and whirled to find Sam standing behind her.  “You’re up early.”

Sam shrugged.  “I heard you come out.  I don’t sleep well on couches.”

“Want to come with me to feed Gin?”

“Sure.”

The two trudged through the snow in her driveway and then crossed the road to the barn.  Gin nickered loudly when they entered.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.  We hear ya,” Sam grumbled, going over to rub her nose and neck.  She nuzzled him, looking for snacks.

Robin went to work, putting fresh hay in Gin’s bag.

“Well, I’ve decided that Todd is a good  guy and worthy of your company,” Sam announced, watching her work.

Robin grunted as she handed him the hay bag to hang.  “I didn’t realize I needed your approval.”

“Of course.  That’s what I’m here for.”

Robin rolled her eyes.  “And what brought you to this fine conclusion?”

“We talked for a while after you all went to bed.”

Robin smirked.  “You guys have a slumber party down there?”

“Ha ha,” Sam retorted.  He turned back to Gin, ignoring Robin.  “I’m just saying he’s a good guy, that’s all.  He seems like a solid, Christian man.  A positive force to have in your life.  Is it so bad that I look out for you?”

Robin stopped filling the grain bucket to glance at her brother.  “No, it’s not.  It’s nice.  But I already knew he was a good guy.  It’s not like I’m dating him.”

Sam threw up his hands.  “I know, I know!  I’m just complimenting you on your choice of friends, okay?  Doing the big brother thing.”

Robin smiled.  “Sam?”

He sighed.  “What?”

“Thanks.”

* * * * * * * * * *

Robin wasn’t the only one who offered feedback about Robin’s guests.  Shelly called her a few days later to comment on the party.

“Todd seems like a nice guy.  Pretty easy going.  When did you meet him?”

“Back in October,” Robin reminded her.  “He was one of the new hires on the OR floor.”

“That’s right!  And this Quinn guy?”