Prologue

David Evans watched from across the room as his wife, Robin, accepted another congratulatory hug.  She looked stunning.  Of course, in his biased opinion, she always looked stunning.  But tonight she shined, showing a beauty she rarely revealed to the world.  The knee length black dress was new just for this occasion, only after much urging from him.  Robin didn’t easily spend money on new things if she couldn’t justify “needing” it. 

It skimmed her figure, falling softly over the curve of her hips and belly.  She had her brown hair professionally arranged on top of her head, showing off the new diamond earrings he’d given her.  They were a graduation gift, one she almost wouldn’t accept because of the cost.

That was her, a no frills kind of girl, but she wore them and made them look beautiful.  She had even applied some lipstick and blush, items he hadn’t known she even owned until they were married.  Even on their wedding day he would have bet she borrowed someone else’s.

She glanced his way, as if feeling his gaze, and smiled.  She excused herself from her well-wisher and cut through the crowd to him.

“Hey there sexy.  Don’t I know you from somewhere?” David greeted.

She grinned and rolled her eyes.  “You better know me.  We’ve got matching wedding rings.”

David glanced down at his hand in mock surprise.  “Huh.  How about that?”  He looked back at her with a teasing grin, leaning in for a kiss.

“You ready to go?  I’m sure everyone’s arrived at my parent’s by now, ready to eat.”

David held her gaze, growling softly.  “Couldn’t we skip that party?  Make one of our own at home?”

Robin groaned.  “David.”

“What?” he asked, amused by the way she drug out his name.  “I think you look absolutely yummy.”

“Well, you’ll just have to hold that thought for a while.  I love you but I’m not ditching my Mom’s party.  There are other people who would like to congratulate me besides you.”

“Just for a while?  You promise?”

“I promise!” she cried with an exasperated laugh.

“Then let’s go get this party over with,” he announced, headed for the door.

* * * * * * * * * *

Robin’s mom, Kathryn, had cleaned out the big two bay garage and filled it with streamers and balloons, as well as three heaping tables of food.  Their friends and family made quick work of the meal and were soon sprawled in groups on the patio and deck.  The September evening was perfect with a slight breeze and just-right temperatures. 

David listened to Robin explain over and over about her new career as a surgical tech and the upcoming job interview with Lansville General, the local hospital only about ten minutes away from where they lived.  She had completed an externship with them and they had called her in for a formal interview before the graduation ceremony.  David knew working there would be her dream job with good hours and good pay.

He did his best to be patient and mingle, but he grew tired of hearing the same questions over and over again.  His impatience to have Robin all to himself grew and when people finally started drifting home, he didn’t wait long to remind her of her promise.  With a slight blush to her cheeks she said her thanks and goodbyes, then allowed David to take her home.

* * * * * * * * * *

David already sat at the table with their friends, Lisa and Bryan Wirt, when Robin arrived at the restaurant.  She tried to keep a straight face as she approached the table, not wanting to give anything away.  All three gazed at her expectantly as she draped her purse on the chair and joined them at the table.