Chapter 14

James on the side --->

Chapter 14

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Siddhartha Gautama

I was both really excited and really nervous to start in school. I had no idea how it was going to be. If there would be a lot or no one at all from my old pack. And if there were, I had no idea how their reactions would be like. Or if they would even recognise me. It was Monday, and tonight was the night Lizzie, Leo and I had to go to our first pack meeting.
I was sitting out front waiting for everyone.
I had met with Louis a couple of days ago. He picked me up at our apartment and then we headed to his place. He had recognized me the moment he saw me, which I was really happy about. I guess he wasn't an old Alpha for nothing. We spent the whole day together talking about books and life and told each other small stories from the last three years. It was really good to catch up with him again, and see that he was well.

"Hi." Maggie said sitting down beside me in front of our door. Because of my morning run, I was up before the rest of them, so I was also the first one to finished. It was really empty and almost boring to run alone after three years with Derek running by my side.

"Morning. Wow you're done before Nate, something really has changed huh. Guess people really do change in three years." I said trying to give her a real smile.

"I know. But you have changed the most though. After Emily started to go with us to school, she lives just 10 minutes walk from here, I guess I started to be on time. She's a grump first thing in the morning and hated waiting for me." Maggie said smiling back. We chatted for a few minutes before Nate, Lizzie and in the end Leo joined us. Leo had never really been good at waking up in the morning, so he was usually the last one ready. We all got in the car and drove to the school. Leo, Lizzie and I were there yesterday to get our things in order for today, so when we got there Leo and I said goodbye to the others and started to find our way to the first class. I got some looks from different kind of people but not something out of the ordinary. Not anything hinting that the people who I knew from three years ago knew who I was. There wasn't many on this school from back then, but there were a few. I didn't think I had changed that much, but back then, barely anyone knew who I was.

Leo and I had some good teachers and used the day to find out what we needed to read up on. "Finally lunch, it feels like days since it was breakfast time." I said getting up gathering my stuff ready to leave.

"You really are something you know that right?" Leo grinned following after me putting his arms over my shoulder.

"Jep I know. Now come on lets find the others." I said speeding up a little. It had been more normal today, the personal circle. Being surrounded by strangers always helped putting it back up. And the humans had defiantly kept their distance from us today. The few wolfs who are here defiantly felt something is different about us, because they were careful not to come too close. They didn't know what it was yet, but their wolfs could feel they should keep their distance. It's not because I don't like people, but all our training has made us like this, it's for our own safety that we can't have people get close to us.

"Hi beautiful." Someone said from behind me. I turned around and found James and Jake behind us in the lunch line. "It's so good to see you again. I was afraid you left town again. Come on down and eat with us." James said giving me a flirtatious smile.

"No thanks I'm fine with my friends." I said turning around but not before I saw his face fell. I don't think people turned him down often.

"Come on you can bring them along as well." He said trying to convince me. When I said no again he was about to take my arm and pull me along. A move that wouldn't have been good. Not because I wanted to hurt him, but because I was surrounded by strangers and my shield was up, it would be a reflects, especially because I had my back to him. He kept pushing me and no warriors likes to be touched or ordered around if they hadn't given permission to the person.