THREE - the visitors

September 3rd, 1991

My apartment was small. The front door was in the space between the kitchen and living room, and when I stood in the doorway, I could see part of the bathroom door--half obscured by the wall of the hallway--at the other side of my apartment. On either side of the bathroom were two rooms: one my own and the other a spare. To the far left of the living room were large sliding doors that led to a small balcony with two metal chairs and a matching table.

On evenings like these, where I was not working, I always made sure I sat out there and watched the sun go down; and, again, if my schedule allowed it, in the mornings I would take the time to enjoy watching as the sun rose over the water and buildings. Those times were easily my favourite part of living here. And, sometimes, I thought of it as a sort of blessing--after all, if I had not met Guns N Roses, I would still be whittling away in Los Angeles, instead of thriving here in my real home. So, in a way, I could thank GNR.

I'd just gotten home from work the day after I'd seen Izzy--so, at around 5:00 pm--when there was a knock at my door.

That man really wastes no time, does he? He must be in a rush to get me to put the guys of Guns on the right track--assuming that's what he's here for, of course.

I picked myself up off the couch I'd just gotten comfortable in, placing my book on the coffee table, and answered the door.

To my surprise, it was not Izzy.

"Colin?" I said in disbelief, shocked to see him since he usually calls before he visits. Plus, the last that I heard, he was in South Africa, and heading to Italy.

"That's me," he chuckled, stretching out his arms for an embrace that I gladly accepted.

"I wasn't expecting you!" I exclaimed once we'd pulled away. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Did I miss your call?" I looked to the phone on counter, its long curled cord dangling off the side, but saw no blinking light.

"No, this was a surprise; although, Mom knew I was coming."

His mom, as in my aunt--the one who I stayed with when I visited home from LA.

I smirked. "Sneak."

"I try," he gloated, stepping into my living space once I moved out of the way. Colin removed his shoes and immediately threw himself onto the couch, stretching his legs out onto the coffee table and crossing his arms behind his head. I sat down next to him.

"Any plans for the evening, or can we have a movie marathon?" he asked with a smile, already extending his hand to the remote on the table.

"Actually," I began, looking at my hands, "I'm--" there was a knock at my door. "--expecting someone." I sighed, heaving myself out of the seat.

He twisted his head around to ask me, "Anyone I know?"

My walk to the door was slow, and I didn't turn around to reply, "Not... entirely, I suppose. But, sort of."

Before Colin could respond, I opened the door. This time, it was exactly who I'd suspected.

Izzy Stradlin stood smiling shyly at me from my doorway with a bouquet of flowers--yellow orchids.

My eyes widened. I blinked several times. I heard Colin stand up from the couch.

"Well aren't you going to introduce me to our guest, Cassie?" he came over to flank me, holding out his hand for Izzy to shake. Izzy accepted the gesture and clasped Colin's hand with his own. "I'm Colin, Cassie's cousin."

Izzy's shoulders seemed to relax slightly upon learning that I was related to the man in my apartment and that he wasn't there for other... activities. My cheeks burned as I wondered what thoughts could have been wandering through his head before that realization, though.