TWO - the lunch

September 2nd, 1991

Izzy didn't attempt an embrace, for which I was thankful--I wasn't sure I was comfortable with that... although I loved the thought of him remembering me well enough to know that before I even spoke. All he did was smile; so I smiled back, tight-lipped.

"Do you have time to maybe..." he trailed off, as though searching for words, "Talk?"

I wasn't certain on how to respond. Surely he knew how busy doctors--particularly surgical interns or residents--were? "I mean..." I glanced down at my watch, adjusting the packages in my grasp so I could get a clear view. It was 9:45 am. "I have a surgery in a bit."

Izzy looked disappointed, and it was all I could do to refrain from apologizing, but I'd been telling myself to stop telling people "sorry" over things that were out of my control. Still, I didn't like seeing people upset... "However... it's just an appendectomy, so I'll be done in time for lunch."

His eyes brightened at that. "That would be great," he said, grinning, an air of shyness still in the expression.

"Don't get too excited--usually I'm paged halfway through my meal, so I never really have time to finish. You'll be lucky if you're actually able sit down and get a few words in before I need to head out again." He looked a little disappointed, his shoulders curving inward. I tried to think of something to assure him with, but a surgeon's job is never over, and I was working until 11 tonight--which wasn't even very unreasonable compared to some of the other hours I'd been handed recently. I just couldn't come up with anything for him to hold on to for assurance--hell, I had nothing to hold on to.

"Oh... alright, well, when do you get off?" he tried. "Maybe then might be better."

"Eleven."

"I thought you said--"

"Pm. Eleven pm." I clarified with a reserved little smile.

Izzy's eyebrows shot up, but he didn't ask how I could deal with that, or even why I would, like others usually do. The question, of course, is understandable--if annoying and hurtful after a while.

"Okay, well... lunch," he sighed, yet maintained an easygoing, happy expression. "Where should I meet you? Do you know any good places?"

"Oh, I can't leave the hospital for that long--you know, people dying and such--so, we'll have to eat in the cafeteria."

He nodded, his lips curving upwards ever so slightly. "I'll see you then."

I turned and said over my shoulder, "See you."

A split second later, he called after me, "Hey, Cassie?"

I looked back to see he hadn't moved, his hands pushed into the pockets of his pants. I offered him a smile as to say, go ahead.

Izzy let a grin--a real, unmasked, completely true expression of joy--spread across his face, and I could have sworn a twinkle shone in his eye. "You look terrific in scrubs."

I pivoted in the other direction before he could register the blush creeping across my cheeks.

-

We were in the cafeteria, sitting across from each other at a table for two. I picked at my garden salad, mostly just moving it around in the clear plastic container.

"So, how've you been?" Izzy asked me, taking a sip of his watered-down soft drink.

"Really?" I glanced up at him long enough to give him an incredulous look. "Izzy, you know I only have a few minutes, so you better get to the point of why you're here instead of making small talk." I munched quietly on a bite of spinach.

He sighed through his nose. "I know. I just don't know how to ask this of you..." I raised an eyebrow. He added, "Plus, I really do want to know more about what you've been up to all these years."

I almost rolled my eyes--not to be rude, but I really didn't have time for lunch and a conversation; I hardly had time for lunch alone. I kept my temper at bay, however. "I'm serious, Izzy. I don't have time to catch up with you. I'm sorry, but I'm at work--you know this, so just tell me what you're here for." I stabbed a tomato with my flimsy, plastic fork; it didn't stick. When he didn't say anything, I decided to continue, "Izzy, I still remember what I said in my letter, okay? I told you I'd always be there for you guys, even if it seems like I hate you. But... right now, I'm a surgical resident. I'm busy; all the time. I just... don't have any time for dawdling. So, out with it already."

Izzy sighed, louder this time. "Okay," he paused. I took a sip of water with my eyebrows raised as I waited for him to spit it out. "Well then, I guess I'll just say it: they're killing themselves. The guys, I mean--Duff and Slash in particular--and Axl..." he trailed off, but I already had an idea of what had been going on from hearing the news on the radio, as well as seeing the stories on the covers of magazines.

I thought of how he didn't even mention Steven, since he wasn't in the band anymore, but I'd heard news about him, too. The press titled articles about him things like Ex-Guns N Roses Drummer Hospitalized... For The 3rd Time This Month, or radio presenters saying things like Steven Adler has been hospitalized once again; in other news, the sky is blue. What's he trying to do, anyway? Break a record of some sort? and then they'd laugh.

I shoved the thoughts out of my mind, taking a moment to respond. "I know," I said simply. "So, what do you need me for?"

He looked up at me, a little startled.

This time, I really did roll my eyes. "When I tell you I remember what I said in my letter, I mean I remember every single word. I practically told you that you could come to me whenever you had an issue. So, just tell me; what is it that you want me to do?"

I watched him as he fumbled to find words.

"Do you want me to stage an intervention or something, or maybe--" I was cut off by my pager beeping. I looked at the message and stood up, pushing my chair back with my legs. "Nevermind. I need to go."

I looked at Izzy, and knew something was really wrong. He seemed bewildered, not at all as comfortable or sure of himself as he had been before. I sighed inwardly. "Okay. I get off tomorrow at five pm. If you decide to man up and tell me what you need, I'll be at this address." I slid a pen out of the pocket of my white coat and tugged his arm toward me, writing my address on the inside of his forearm.

Before he could utter a word, I'd already taken off.

--

Lol so whatdyall think so far? What's he gonna ask her??? So much suspense

I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas & happy holidays to everyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas! I meant to update this on Christmas day but... honestly I just forgot. So here u are. New Years. Congrats @ me for actually updating. It's 2:30 am. I'm tired gnight

-megan xx