28

Hi! This might get kind of confusing for you, so make sure you read my authors note at the end of the chapter! It's important if you've been reading this book since the beginning!

Enjoy..

><><><><><><

***Paige's Point of View***

I walked until my feet couldn't take another step, and I saw a small cafe sitting in the near distance. I thought of the twenty bucks sitting in the deepest pocket of my bag and realized I would need much more than that if I was to survive on my own.

I dragged myself the rest of the way until I finally stumbled through the door. The bell atop the door jingled as I walked in, probably looking mental in my jeans.

A girl my age stood at the register, smiling at me.

"Hi," I greeted, trying my best to look friendly. Friendly was never really my thing. I just imagined her as one of Tessa's bitch crew, although I'm sure this girl was much less irritating.

"What can I get for you?"

"Actually...I know there wasn't a help wanted sign in the window or anything...um...are you hiring?"

I never had a job before, and this was all new to me.

She smiled at me sadly, and I knew what was coming. I tried not to look disappointed.

"We're not really..." she said, her voice lilting upward at the end in a hopeful way. "But I can talk to my boss and see."

She glanced at my ratty clothes and backpack stuffed to the max, hanging off my shoulder. My hair was probably a mess, and I no doubt looked homeless to her. She smiled at me, and I couldn't help but smile gratefully in return.

"Thank you," I told her in my most sincere voice. She disappeared for a moment, and I could hear the soft muffle of arguing from the back room. I sat at the small bar and bit my lip as she returned. She had a smile on her face, so I could only assume it was good news.

She handed me an application and I grinned.

"Fill it out and my boss says she will see what she can do," she informed. I asked her for a pen and got right to filling it out.

"I...um," I stuttered. She looked up at me. "I don't have an address."

She looked sorry for me. Maybe even a little concerned.

"Just skip it," she said, trying to smile. I nodded, skipping over phone number and email as well.

I handed it back to her after ten minutes. She thanked me and read it over with her eyebrows furrowed.

"It's...brief..."

"Yeah..."

"I'll talk to my boss," she said, smiling and walking to the back again. I heard more arguing until the door opened and a woman walked out with the girl right behind her. She looked at me and her hard stare softened.

"How old are you?" she asked me.

"Eighteen," I easily lied. It would be true in a few months, and I certainly looked it. She stared at me suspiciously for a moment.

"No job experience?"

"I'll work hard," I guaranteed. "It's not like I have much else to do with my time."

"And if we need to contact you?"

"I'll be around frequently."

She took a long time to think it over. While she was deep in thought, conversing quietly with the register girl, a boy pushed through the front door.