25

***Zayn's Point of View***

I knew something was up when I didn't see her in art class, but it wasn't until lunch that I saw the missing person report pop up on my phone.

I ditched school for the remaining two periods and headed right to her house. The place was polluted with cops, and I cold see her mother standing on the front lawn talking to one of them. I stopped my car in the middle of the road and jumped out, not even caring at the moment. I ran over just as the cop walked away to discuss with his partner.

"Hi," I greeted. "I'm Zayn. I'm friends with Paige. Is everything okay?"

That seemed to trigger even more tears as she shook her head.

"What? What is it?" I asked gently, yet eager to find out.

"Paige...we can't find her. She's gone," she finally spat out. My heartbeat quickened, and my mind was racing. "Do you have any idea where she might be?"

"I wish I did. I'm so sorry. We'll find her. I promise."

I ran off before she could reply. I slid into the driver's seat and headed for the tracks. One thought popped into my mind, and it wouldn't leave.

What if Hunter did something to her?

After our conversation the other day, it wouldn't surprise me. Knowing him, he would take her to the warehouse. It's not like he has any other place to go.

I got there in record timing, and I sprinted to the building faster than I ever had before. I went right for his spot, and surprisingly he was alone. Sleeping.

I kicked him awake, and he glared at me ready to attack.

"Where's Paige?" I demanded.

"I haven't seen your bitch, Malik."

"You haven't?" I was too panicked to even yell at him for calling her a bitch.

"She's probably lost. Maybe if she's lucky she won't find her way home. Hopefully starve to death."

I clenched my fists, but I didn't have time for a fight.

"Burn in hell," I muttered, turning back around and running to the one other place I might find her. I ran to my own little section of the building. Hidden by wall after wall. When I got there, everything was just how I left it. No Paige. I yelled, not caring who heard me, and ran in the direction I came from.

I almost smacked into Nathan. The warehouse owner. I don't speak with him often, but we're friendly enough. He's one of the few trustworthy people that occupy this joint.

"Whoa, in a hurry?" he asked.

"Yeah sort of. Sorry."

"Are you okay? What happened to you?"

He stopped me, and I sighed wishing I could just go without having to explain it all.

"My friend. She went missing. I don't know where to find her, and I don't even know if she went missing on purpose or if someone did something to her...I just...I need to know if she's okay...I..." My breathing picked up as I explained, and I realized how serious of a situation this actually was.

"Okay, slow down. It's going to be okay," Nathan told me. "Are you talking about Paige?"

"How do you know Paige?" I asked in a more protective tone than intended. He smiled.

"We met a few weeks ago. She's told me quite a lot about you, actually."

I rolled my eyes.

"If anything, the girl probably ran away. She had so much going on. I probably would've done the same," he added.