10

“Hey,” Zayn said through the phone as I slid into my car.

“Hi. Not to sound rude, but why exactly are you calling me so early in the morning?” I asked. “I mean, you couldn’t wait another hour for first period?”

“No, I couldn’t. Do you usually drive by the tunnel on your way to school?” he asked as I pulled out of my driveway. I put the phone on speaker so I wouldn’t have to hold it.

“Yeah. Every day. Why? Did something happen?” I asked, suddenly worried as I turn the corner.

“Oh, something happened alright,” he chuckled. That’s when I saw it. Just as I turned onto the road that led to the tunnel, I noticed the major backup of traffic.

“What the hell,” I muttered.

“Did you see it yet?” he asked eagerly.

“Um, I think? It’s never this busy. Was there an accident or something?”

“Jeez,” he muttered. “Paige, they’re slowing down to look at the artwork,” he explained like it was obvious. Everything suddenly made sense.

“Oh my god,” I mumbled as I realized he was right. With every car that went through the tunnel, they would drive abnormally slow as they passed the area of the painting. I could see the traffic backed up for miles. “This is insane.”

“I know.”

“I’m never going to get to school at this rate.”

“Seriously? Everyone in town is stopping and taking time out of their day to admire your creation, and all you’re concerned about it making it to school on time?” he asked in disbelief.

“It’s not my creation. It’s mostly yours.”

“It’s both of ours. We split it evenly, remember? And it was your idea in the first place, so technically it’s mostly yours. Be proud for once, okay?”