and Peggy (13)

I think I'm not straight.

I don't mean the type of not straight where you don't stand upright- I mean the type where you're drooling over girls, like Maria Reynolds. The only reason I even liked John was because he gave me attention. I'm a certificated attention- whore. The main reason was that I'm the youngest Schuyler, everyone ignores me. My sisters are the most popular people in the college and I'm just 'the yellow one'. I never get attention, I'm invisible, but John gave me that attention and now he's gone. His gay ass found someone worth loving and I felt so betrayed, so lonely and heartbroken.

But then I saw Maria.

I finally felt noticed. It was when we were at John and Alex's when I felt so broken. The conversation lasted two minutes, maybe three minutes, everything we said in total agreement. I can't even remember what was said. I was helpless throughout, she was so hot and boy did she know it. Her perfect hair sat on her shoulders so neatly, her red dress curling itself around her. And her eyes, god, those eyes. A dark hazel, glassy and bright. Her lips stood out the most, painted a pristine red- the signature Maria Reynolds look.

Whilst procrastinating about my gay thoughts, I was spread like a starfish on my bed before my phone buzzed.

Mari-ah- Hey darling, what's up? x

I released a loud screech, flailing my arms and legs as I read it. Which mainly ended in me falling off my bed. Eliza immediately ran in the room, "PEGGY! WHAT HAPPENED DID YOU DIE?" Angelica followed closely behind. I just laid there hyperventilating. Eliza darted to my side, "IS SHE BREATHING IS SHE GOING TO SURVIVE THIS? WHO DID THIS ANGELICA?"

I managed to speak a word, "Maria..."

Angelica's eyes widened, "What do you mean? Did she hurt you? I'm going to punch that bit-"

"MARIA MESSAGED ME I'M SO HAPPY!" I yelled maybe a little too loudly.

Suddenly a loud thud sounded from the wall, a muffled voice came from the other side, "I FINALLY GOT ALEX TO SLEEP, SHUT UP!"

"Sorry, Johnny!" Eliza called sweetly, I couldn't tell if she was being over- nice to mock him or just being herself. Bittersweet Eliza, that's who she is and probably always will be.

"It's 3am, go to sleep you little shits!" I heard what sounded like Jefferson groan from the opposite side of the room.

Angelica proceeded to say something unholy back to him. I didn't hear as I was trying to reply to Maria. This was extremely difficult. I typed out a 'hey' but then proceeded to delete it- too boring. Then it was a 'hey what's up? I hope we can meet up sometime', then I just thought I sounded desperate. I finally settled with 'hey, I'm good. Wbu? x' and hit send. There was no going back now.

Mari-ah- im good darling x

Mari-ah- i was hoping we could meet up sometime ;)

I was practically dying inside; trying not to scream, I managed to type out a smooth reply.

andpegsters- sure! how bout we grab some coffee tomorrow at lunch? x

I waited patiently, panicking slightly. I watched as the three dots tormented me at the bottom of the screen, to demonstrate that she was typing. She was taking a long time and a sudden wave of dread hit me. I thought she believe that I was being too forward, too quick. I felt my heart race as I released a pained sigh. Suddenly, I let out a breath of relief when I read her reply...

Mari-ah- Yes! that would be great, i'd love to.

Mari-ah- I have to go now pegs, james wants me to make him something to eat, bye xx

andpegsters- bye, cya tomorrow xx

I felt my face heat up slightly with happiness, releasing a small giggle. My crush wanted to get coffee with me and I had never felt so happy. Angelica suddenly cleared her throat, pulling me out of thought, "So," she wore a classic Angelica smirk, "Who are you texting, Pegs?"

"Maria Reynolds," I answered bluntly, not pulling my eyes away from my phone as I re-read my messages in awe. I wasn't able to keep in a smile at all.

Angelica pressed her lips together to hold in a laugh before opening them to speak, "Do you like her then, Peggy?"

I looked up from my phone to give Angelica a 'shut-the-fuck-up' look, "Yes, I like her a lot now go away," I looked back down at my phone again. Angelica smiled proudly, sitting down next to me and pulling me into a sisterly hug, "I'm happy for you, Peggers,"

And for the first time, I was happy for me too.