My Prince?

"Can I please rent a car?" I asked the lady at the desk.

"Of course, that will be 200 ceiros. (pronounced c/air/o. [is a form of imaginary currency]) We'll come and get you when your car has arrived." the lady said with a smile.

I handed her the money and went and sat down in the waiting area. For being an airport, it really wasn't all that crowded or busy. I checked the flight board. All of the flights were arriving and departing on time. Well Creture is known for its hospitality. I tightened my grip one my suitcase handle. I was trying to focus on anything besides how nervous I was. It was my first time visiting a country on my own. I had begged and pleaded about how I was eighteen and I could be trusted and blah blah blah. My father had refused to let me go because a young woman, such as myself, could easily be tricked, taken advantage of, etc. I refused to call him and tell him I want to go home. I will not let him win.

A sudden tap on my shoulder made me jump about five feet in the air.

"Ma'am, I'm afraid your rental car had to be used for an emergency. We did call you a cab though. We'll alert you when your ride has arrived." he said with a sympathetic smile.

"Oh! Thank you!" I said with appreciation. But... that left me with more time to worry and be nervous. Hurray!

A few moments later the man came again to get me. He walked me to the front door of the airport where my car was waiting. The wind gently blew my cream colored sundress and faux leather vest. I walked briskly to the cab with my cowboy boots clicking on the pavement. Don't judge, the went with the vest.

I quietly slipped in and was greeted with a smiling tan man with a thick black mustache. "Good morning! I will be your driver today. So, where to?" he said with a slight Italian accent.

"Um, the Ro..wan..do..." I tried to read the name on my hand.

"The Roando Hotel! It is absolutely beautiful this time of year! You will definitely enjoy your stay." he said with a grin. He quickly typed something on the computer in the passenger seat. "That will be 300 ceiros."

"What?! We haven't even moved!" I protested.

He laughed, "You see, due to multiple crimes over the past years, we have had to install a computer. They would get in and once we got where we were going they would claim not to have any money. They would get away with it too. So the payment is up front." he smiled.

"Well, do you think you could take me up there out of the kindness of your heart? I don't have that kind of.." I started.

The driver gripped the steering wheel. "No. No money. No ride. Get out." he said turning cold.

I gave a silent gasp, and reluctantly pulled my suitcase out onto the pavement. As soon as I got out, the driver floored it. He left me in a cloud of dust, contemplating what to do. With a sigh I started for the hotel. It wasn't that many miles away.

Only a couple.

Hundred.

Along a highway.

And its starting to rain.

Perfect.

Just. Perfect.

Worst. Vacation. Ever.