:DNAL: Chapter Ten

I walked down the corridor, Past the new screaming patient and through the doors to my boss, Ron. He was worried. I had been in this office enough to know that when Ron was staring out of the window, with one hand behind his back and a cigar that should be illegal to have in this building, it meant he was worried.

My brain froze for a minute. There was something important I was forgetting. Something I needed to remember.

A cigar that should be illegal...

I sat up. Smoke was thick and seen through the doors.

Entane was on fire.

I glanced up at the windows, cursing how they were reinforced with prison wire, I was sure there was a health and safety law about how many fire exits there is in a building. The smoke was coming from the doctor's section of the ward, meaning it had already gotten to where the insane people were. The only place left for me to escape was the main entrance. I I ducked down, thinking of what to do. The smoke was illuminated by the flames. I took the blanket, put it over my head and wrapped it around my mouth, my only goal was to live. I felt the metal door handle with the back of my hand. The heat scolded me and my palm instantly clamped shut. I was glad I had took fire drill safety, or when I grabbed on to the handle my hand would clamped on the scolding metal, not the thick air.

I grabbed my emergency back up drive, every time I went on my computer, I saved the work onto my USB stick. That was put around around my neck.

I grabbed the curtains, and wrapped it around the door handle before turning. The heat whipped my face until the flesh stung.

I was going to have a sun burn tomorrow.

The halls were filled with flames, my hair was starting to smell burnt. I took a breath and ignored the way the heat burned my throat. Ducking down, I ran, not pausing when I stepped directly in a flame and burned myself. Looking at the flames I knew I had to go back. When I got to Ron's office it was clear this was the place the the fire started. The wooden door frame fell off, setting my blanket on fire. I dropped it quick, and tried stomping out the fire.

It didn't work.

The door had already melted, I stood over that making sure none of the plastic touched my skin.

The carpet was on fire, but I ignored the flashing pain I got every time I stepped. Ron wasn't in the room. A charred cigar bud was all that was left. I left, making my way to the crazy ward. Each door I opened no one was in, except flames. I had third degree burns every were, and the smoke was getting in my lungs, only being stopped by the neck of my turtle neck red sweater.

There was one place I knew no one would have the guts to check, so I made my way to the criminal ward.

The doors were mostly melted, only the metal bars were remaining, and the fire was so hot it seemed like they were easy to get out of, the metal had started to expand. I felt white hot pain run through my wrist. The flames had burnt my clothes into little pieces, sticking onto me by sweat and scaled flesh. The burns were now second degree. I carried on moving. The door to cell one; the prisoner had escaped. The beaten marks showed it, and the blood.

Cell two- the prisoner was dead.

Cell three to six , they had been sent to france.

Cell Seven to ten, they had been released, moved to other wings and one had escaped.

Cell eleven, the door was melted, but no one could get through. I stepped back, hearing his scream, there wasn't anything I could do. I moved on. Down the hall was the only cell that couldn't be destroyed by the flames, It was reinforced, but the metal was starting to melt.