:DNAL: Chapter Four

"Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,

Smiles await you when you rise.

Sleep,

pretty baby,

Do not cry,

And I will sing a lullaby."

I hesitated at the entrance of Lucas' door. The sweet lullaby sounded haunting coming from a killers lips. His chilling voice was dragging out each negative word as if the sound brings him delight.

I think...I just shivered...out of fear. The feeling was strange and new. I had never been afraid of a patient before. How could one scare me with just a simple lullaby that I was so used to hearing?

Same as always, as soon as I was through the metal door, it closed up. My face was back to it's usual amused look.

"Golden Slumbers?" I laughed.

"You've heard of it?" he asked. It was funny, the only emotion I had seen in his eyes was curiosity. He reminded me of a child so much.

"My mother use to sing it to me as a child. " I replied, momentarily getting lost in a memory.

"Your mother's dead?" He asked, or rather, stated. I glared at him.

"Lucas, I thought we had something special. If you don't start caring for peoples feelings I'm not sure we can carry on." I sighed.

"Ah, your finally admitting your feelings for me." I shrugged, fluttering my eyes and smirked.

"We both know your handsome, Lucas. Once they let you out of here we can be together." He grinned at me cheekily, and I felt hope flutter silently though my body.

"Well, it was pretty convincing, Doc, but your wording on 'Once they let you out' gave you away."  He raised his eyebrows. I sighed as my smile dropped, I picked up the pen and threw a glare at him  for being so...so...devious.

"Flirting-Does-Not-work" I noted, crossing it off my list. Lucas was still wearing his smirk when I shifted my eyes back to him.

"I gotta say, Doc, you should have been a crazy. You're brilliant at manipulating things." I closed my eyes and shook my head.

"You mean manipulating words, because you obviously think I can't manipulate you."

"Would you like to manipulate people?" I rolled my eyes, and felt a tang of annoyance that he was the first that tempted me to roll my eyes- which is now my favourite gesture.

"Every parent has to be a con artist." I stated.

"You have a child?"

"No, absolutely not-I hate children." That familiar look he gave me, shot across his face.

"One thing we agree on Fully, Doc." He stated. I smiled slightly.

"So you hate kids, why not kill them?"  I questioned, instantly becoming wary when the cheeky smirk appeared on his face.

"Because Doc, we both know that kids are nothing compared to teens." I stared at him, long and hard.

Because we both know he never once killed a teen.

:7:00am Earlier that day:

"Do you know how relieved I am that its Friday?" A nurse asked another.

"I wish." he replied, hauling the food carriage through the criminally insane section. "I'm working this weekend." She gave him a sympathetic look.

"Tough on you, Gary."

"You said it in four words, Lynn." He agreed. They came to a stop outside a door with an XII on the door.

"Who's in room twelve?" Lynn asked, looking at her clipboard, stopping the cart she was pulling filled with all kind of medical containers.

"He came here Wednesday." Gary replied, his face paling slightly, "it's Lucas Thame."  his voice was now just above a whisper. Lynn froze.

"Jessica could have warned me." Lynn muttered, her face blanking. "I knew she looked weird when she asked me to take her morning shift.” Gary was silent as he carefully opened the door.

Lucas was sitting up on his bed, his head resting on the wall behind and his eyes closed. Lynn chanced a glance at Gary, then turned back and stood up straighter.

"Mr  Thame, it's time for your breakfast and morning sedative." she stated, feeling quite proud for only stuttering at his name. He didn't say anything, though he did stuck his arm out.

Lynn got to work straight away, sticking a needle in his arm as gently as she could. Lucas didn't even flinch.  

"I suppose you have the best doctor here." Gary muttered, taking out Lucas' pre ordered breakfast.  Lucas' eyes snapped open. Gary bit his lip and his eyes widened when he processed what he had just said.

"No offence." He said hastily. "but you are quite famous." Lucas smiled in understanding, his face suddenly so gentle Gary couldn't help but grin back. Like a quick-spread disease, suddenly Lynn was smiling to.

"I have a good doctor." He said, taking the food. "I don't know if she is the best. It's doctor-um-" He pased, looking puzzled for a moment.  "I've forgotten her name." He stated flatly.

"Was she tall?" Lynn asked, throwing the used syringe in a yellow Bio-hazard bin.  Lucas nodded.

"Golden brown hair to the chest?" Gary asked, Lucas nodded again, neither of the two noticed Lucas' cleverly concealed eager. The two workers shared a look.

"We know her." They said together, seeming to snap out of the happy-trance.  They seemed to stiffen more, and realise who they were talking to.  Lucas sat up, glancing at the two of them.

"So what is her name?" He asked, passing nonchalant off with perfection.

"We aren't allowed to repeat any of the doctors names." Lynn said, and pushed her trolley out of the door before Lucas could say another word.  Gary picked up Lucas' now used breakfast dish and disposed of it.

"Why not, Gary?" Lucas asked, more  forcefully, but goading at the same time. Gary stopped, and casually turned around, although the fear  was starting to spike.

"The Doctor we're talking about," He said quietly. "One of the nurses told a -resident, in this place her real name." Lucas sat up, noting the sudden sorrow in his voice.

"The guy escaped two days later, tracked her down and...killed her child."

"How old was she-the child?" Gary noticed the strain on Lucas' voice this time. He turned back around.

"She was fourteen."