2.

- Eddie's POV -

Ms. Samson's class was coming to an end before before Richie and I knew it.

We hadn't made much progress on the science experiment since we had been talking during the entire class.

"What's your mom been up to these days? Is she still holding you hostage like a baby?" Richie asked me in a teasing tone as we continued to converse.

I gave him a serious look as I nodded in response to the question. "Yeah, I'm still a prisoner in my own house. It gets really boring... I really miss hanging out with everyone."

"Fuck... I feel sorry for you. Maybe we can start hanging out again, like we did when we were kids. It could help you get away from her for a while." Richie recommended. "We could go get some ice cream, or go to the movies. Like old times."

I smiled at the thought of Richie and I being together like that again.

I secretly wanted that to happen more than anything.

"Yeah! That sounds fun." I instantly agreed, nodding my head eagerly this time around.

Could our little outing be considered a date...?

No.

That was a stupid thought to have.

Richie probably liked girls, and he wouldn't even give me a second glance.

We were just friends. Nothing more,  nothing less. Just friends.

"I can drive to the park to pick you up so we can hang out tonight and catch up. I'll be there at eight. That sound good?" He asked me with a warm smile that he rarely showed.

Richie didn't even give me the chance to answer the question as he began to speak in one of his many ridiculous voices while giving me a dramatic look. "I will be wearing attire that one would consider quite mysterious and inconspicuous. And sexy."

I laughed at the funny, random remark, and finally nodded in agreement. "That sounds good to me. I'll meet you there."

Suddenly, the sound of the bell ringing from above startled everyone, including Richie and I.

I wasn't sure which classes we both had, but I kept my fingers crossed that we would have at least one more class together.

"I'll see you around, Eds." Richie told me as he stood up from the wooden seat and started to sling his items into his backpack.

"Definitely! Maybe we'll have the next class together." I suggested confidentially as we both began to exit the room.

I hoped that we would, more than anything.

•••

- No POV -

Eddie headed to the boys restroom before his next class would begin.

The door swung open as he crept in. Oddly enough, he was the only one inside.

Or so he thought.

He was always wary of the people that surrounded him in and out of school.

He was an easy target for bullies, and he knew that he was at his most vulnerable without his friends as backup.