Part 2-21. Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Olive called Seth, Peter and I to her house today. All of us boys were told to wait on the porch. Actually, Peter and Seth could have gone in, but Sarah didn’t want Alexander to come home and see me sitting on the couch. Alexander’s still mad at me. It’s his house, his daughter, his wife and his son doesn’t have the right to be here without him knowing. I’m lucky Sarah let me stay on the porch. Sarah’s nice to me, considering my mother had an affair with her husband that resulted in the bastard child that is me.

Not one of us is talking. We have no idea what is going on all we know is Olive came home from the hospital yesterday and wouldn’t talk to any of us before now. I don’t know if by this time next year I’ll still have a big sister. If I don’t have Olive I might go and kill myself. I’m not joking. All I’d have is my mom and she’s working on a replacement as I speak.

Seth would be destroyed if Olive comes out and says something along the lines of “I’m not gonna make it” I don’t think he would continue college. In fact, I think he would turn to drugs. He used to dabble in drugs, you can get them pretty cheap at a battery downtown. Olive got him to stop. Olive’s like that. Always trying to help people my sister.

The front door squeaks open, we all stand. Olive is looking at the ground. Oh no. The surgery last month didn’t help.  She’s going to die. Both of my siblings will be dead. I can feel my throat closing. I’m going to die too. I’ll miss Peter, I really will, but I can’t survive without Olive.

“I’m in remission!” My jaw drops in pure shock and joy as Olive starts with her wonderful news

 “Really?” Seth says with wide eyes.

Olive is smiling wide enough for it to fall off her face, “Yes!” She’s jumping up and down in joy. I haven’t seen her this happy since before she was diagnosed.

Seth grabs her and twirls her around. When he sets her feet on the ground he kisses her passionately. Seth loves my sister that’s the one thing no one can deny.

When they pull back, “I guess I won’t need this anymore.” Olive grabs her blonde wig and tugs it off. She eyes it for a moment before throwing it onto the sidewalk that’s five feet from the porch we’re standing on.

I stare at her. No more cancer. No more living nightmare. “They’re sure?”

***

“Brent I have to tell you something.”

“Uh?” I take out the headphones out of my ears and look at my sister.

“Something really bad, well not bad, but not good, well it is bad, but could be….”

“What?” Something’s wrong. Something is very, very wrong.

She comes and sits next to me. “I have,” She looks up so she doesn’t cry. She doesn’t like crying in front of me. When she gets the nerve to look at me, she takes a deep breath, “Cancer.”

I blink stiffly, “What did you say?”

She looks straight at me, “I have cancer.”

I shake my head. This can’t be happening. I can’t catch my breath. I think I’m going to die. This isn’t right. “It’s okay, Brent, please.” Olive keeps saying Its okay over and over. I just need her to be quiet. No noise. That’s what I need, also for her to lying to me would be awesome too. I know she isn’t, Olive’s shouldn’t see me like this.

I start shaking. This isn’t happening. This isn’t happening. 

“Brent, please.” Olive’s rocking and crying with me. “I’m going to be fine.” Olive is too use to these conversations.