24 - Butchered

Sitting at the back of the library in my usual place, I leaned back in my chair, inhaled deeply, held it in until my lungs stung and then released it, my eyes closed.
I needed to think straight.

Before tomorrow, I needed to ensure that everything was well thought out and planned. I had to make sure that there would be no more unnecessary drama or surprises.
Opening my text books, I laid them all out neatly in front of me, setting the scenery if someone were to unexpectedly pass by or join me.
I had borrowed a laptop at the front counter, opening it up in front of me, intent on doing no studies that linked to any text book I owned. I was going to study, but it was going to be on what I would wear tomorrow, on what to expect from an enchantress and how to protect myself from any impending magical attacks.
It sounds insane, even in my own mind.

Opening google, I began my search, typing in Evalia Alice Ann Graceline. At first, there were only nonsense titles that had no reference to what I was after, and then, on my third google search page my eyes found something of interest. It was a news article, a very old news article titled Family of 5 butchered. Clicking it open, the black and white photocopied article became enlarged on the screen.
I leaned forward, starting from the top

Thursday, 15th September 1925,
Police entered the home of Wallace and Ann Graceline to discover their slain bodies, as well as their 3 young children, Victoria Ann, 6, Joseph Wallace, 10, and Evalia Alice, aged 15. Concern and fear is being held for the safety of a stunned community. Investigations are continuing.

One step forward, ten steps back.
Evalia had died, she had been reported murdered with her entire family, how was this possible? Did it matter? Would it help to know more for tomorrow night? Who knew, at this stage, the more I knew, I considered for the better.

I continued to scroll for more information when a shadow caught my eye, a figure emerging in front of me, quick and unexpected, just like I had planned for.
My fingers automatically opened a prepared page, a half written document on global warming before I glanced up

Without thought, I slumped and fell slightly relieved when I saw the lean body pulling up a chair beside me.
I should have expected it to be him.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" I grumbled, making my annoyance clear

"This is more important" He began, scooting closer to me than necessary "What have you done Emilia, you organised a meeting?"

I nodded, my eyes on the screen in front of me, too cowardice to face his close proximity, proximity similar to the day he had stitched my arm back together "I just want to talk with her"

"This isn't your fight, you have no idea what she's capable of" His eyes singed into my cheek

"Just because you gave up, doesn't mean that I have to, I'm doing it so I can end this, so you and your brother, your uncle and mother, everyone involved can move forward" I told him evenly, unfazed as though this was an easy job ahead

"Do you understand the gravity of who this woman is or are you choosing to be impetuous?" He snapped, his tone impatient

Bravely, I turned, facing him front on.
Unlike majority of the times we were together, he was unwaveringly looking at me, direct and firm.
He was just as handsome up close as he was from a distance, yet every time I looked at his face, flashbacks flooded back to our useless adventure to meet his grandfather.

Instead of fighting back, I forced myself to remain the person I truly was before I met him, patient and calm

"I'm not going to argue with you Danny, but I am doing this, whether you like it or not"