10 - The Truth

Despite the beautiful weather, I felt the air grow dark and ominous. It was as though I was being transported to another world. A world to which I couldn't ever leave once landed.

I nodded again, urging Danny to continue, undeterred

"My lack of... eye contact, my deterrence of you, it's something I need to do, it's not something I want to do. I'm easily considered to be rude and.." He stared at the sky, his eyes somewhat pained "Arrogant. But that's not who I am"

"Who are you, really?" I pushed eagerly

Surprisingly, his head turned toward me, seeking eye contact "I'm trapped inside the consequences of my grandfathers actions"

I didn't understand, and he wasn't making it easy. When I waited, he continued.

"What you suggested to be true the other day in history, was in fact the entire truth" He admitted, eyes firm on mine, the pull into his world again at force

"A curse?" I mumbled, unsure

He nodded slowly

I shook my head "How?"

His eyes fell from mine to the ground "My grandfather crossed paths with the wrong woman. She unpredictably concocted her revenge when he broke her heart. This woman he had provoked, happened to be a powerful enchantress"

I tried to keep my composure, unsure if I believed what he was telling me.
My brain automatically went into overdrive. I always had an open mind, I was not a judgmental person, so I decided to listen further to what he had to say before I made my call.

"An enchantress?" I repeated his term

Danny hesitated, his hands in his pockets, unsure of what was even coming out of his own mouth
"I don't expect you to believe me, and it's okay if you don't, maybe my wild theory will keep you from me, from my brother, and that's a good thing"

Unfortunately, for him, it was quite the opposite. No matter how crazy he sounded or how insane the rumours were, I continued to find myself curious and enthralled in him.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked

His eyes searched the sky behind my head, completely avoiding me

"The accident you were involved in, it was a warning" He spoke slowly

"A warning?"

He nodded, finally meeting my gaze "Anyone who gets close to my family..." He trailed off, shaking his head

"Dies?" I grimly finished for him "Is that how those women died, the ones your grandfather dated?"

"Yes" He admitted guiltily as though it was somehow his fault "He should have believed in the curse, but he didn't, he was in denial and it cost four women their lives"

I wanted to ask why it had only been women to have died, women he had dated. But I knew the answer, it was because they were romantically involved, which confused me. The accident I had been involved in, was a warning, but why? I wasn't involved with the brothers romantically in any way shape or form.
I did, admittedly, find Danny attractive, interesting, but we were the furthest thing from even being friends.
And then my mind caught up to his last sentence.

"Four women? Reports only state three.."

Danny gave a sigh and shuffled on his feet "My grandmother"

Again, my mind wandered, this time out loud "How did they have children, how did they survive years together if the curse was in play?"
The question stood for both his grandparents and his parents. How was it possible for them to have been together long enough to produce not just one child, but two?