18 - Just An Accident

Rather than being completely terrified about the idea of losing Skyler and Cara over my friendship with Danny Newscot, I was now regretful of telling them for a whole different reason. Admitting to Cara and Skyler that there were feelings there for him, meant that I needed to approach the topic within myself. How was I supposed to push my feelings back? How did I stop myself from feeling the way I did for him?

It was when Paisley discovered the Newscot news that I needed to be cautious.

"So what was with that address I got for you?" She asked, more concerned about the friendship than Cara and Skyler were

"I didn't lie about that" I lied "My dad did need it for the photo, I asked Danny but he or his family haven't been in contact with William after everything that happened"

She scrutinised my face until she decided to believe the lie, nodding "Okay"

"You aren't afraid of the serial killer gene?" Dayton chewed onto his sandwich roughly, looking at me

"People need to give him and his brother a chance, how alike are you to your grandparents?" I turned the judgement on him

He shrugged "Not very"

"Exactly" I intentionally defended "His family have been so badly judged based on what one person has been accused of, no wonder his mum has shielded them from us"

"She's right" Skyler nodded "We have kind of been dicks about it"

Finally, I was getting somewhere.

-

Final period had swiftly made its appearance and I instantaneously felt more anxious about being beside Danny now that I knew how my brain was working.

Before I had the opportunity to act unnatural and uncomfortable beside Danny once seated, Thomas turned.

"So if you aren't going with Mathew to the fundraiser" He raised his eyebrows "What do you think my chances are?"

He was slimy and arrogant and it made me cringe.

"Not likely" I snapped "Besides, I know that you and Georgiana are going together, I overheard her bragging about it in gym" I sighed casually

His smile widened, caught out "Not much gets by you, does it?"

I shook my head "No, it doesn't"

"So what's the deal then? Why won't you go with Mathew?" He turned serious

"He tries too hard" I sighed with a smile

"You girls cry when we don't try hard enough, but then when we do it still isn't good enough" Thomas shook his head, snickering

"You should focus more on yourself rather than Mathews love life anyways, Georgiana didn't seem impressed with the way you asked her to the dance"

"Oh shit, really?" Thomas scoffed, rolling his eyes

I nodded as class began, pulling Thomas back around in his chair. Fortunately for me, the conversation hadn't taken a bothersome tone. If Thomas had chosen better friends, he honestly wouldn't have been that horrid to be around.

It was then and for the next half hour that the silence and the stillness became uncomfortable and intolerable. I shifted in my seat when my muscles became stiff, only moving my eyes slightly when Danny would move.
How was I supposed to endure an hour with him alone in a car? I was starting to think this would be a bad idea.

"Will you tell me how that happened?" Danny spoke after a torturous thirty five minutes, nodding in the direction of my hand and brace

"I told you" I shifted, my head down "It was just an accident"