11 - Tilly & Joe

I sat on the front porch, half guarded by the shoulder height hedges surrounding our small yard. It was overcast, which worked well for my overly sensitive eyes. My knees were pulled up to my chest, the light fabric of my black jeggings forgiving on my aching muscles.
It was quiet, Sundays were for the most part, quiet on our narrow street.
We were very fortunate for the neighbours we had, majority were well rounded families or elderly couples living out their retirement comfortably.
I was confident that sitting on the wooden veranda sporting a disagreeable hangover would be privatised. Until my dad pulled up with my grandparents that is.

Grandma Tilly and Grandpa Joe were some of the least likely people to judge me. They were my fathers parents, they were much like he was, much like I was.

"Hello my beautiful girl" Tilly greeted when she emerged from the car passenger seat, her back more hunched than I'd remembered, yet her spirit remaining the same.
She wore a light pink mid-length cardigan, the top beneath it frilly and colourful. I just adored her no-clue fashion sense.

"Hi Grandma Tilly" I breathed into her shoulder during our long warm embrace.
I had missed her.

"How are you feeling? I heard about the accident you poor soul" She patted me on the back, sympathetic

"I'm fine, it wasn't as bad as it seems" I mumbled, pulling back as mum and Luke stepped outside to greet her

Grandpa Joe was the first to catch on to my unruly headache as he pulled me into a tight hug "Rough night darling?" He half giggled, his chest rattling lightly

"Rough week" I corrected in response.

Entering the house, my mother and Tilly headed directly for the kitchen. Mum had began preparing lunch, Tilly sitting at the island counter, insisting on somehow helping her. Joe, dad and Luke were standing in front of the bar, Luke showing off his soccer trophies - the ones that awarded participation only - while I tagged along behind.

All I wanted to do, was sleep. I couldn't focus, I couldn't think, and when I did think, all I thought about was the regret I felt for having allowed Mathew to taste my lips again. I was an idiot.

"What about you Milli?" Tilly called from across the room, my ears pricking up

"I'm sorry?" I walked toward her, sitting beside where she sat

"What's the latest news?" She asked - her famous question every moment we saw one another

I shrugged as mum eyed me off with a raised eyebrow. It was a warning, to keep the dirty secrets to myself.

"I got caught skipping school, my karma for that was nearly being hit by a car, that's about it really"
If mum hadn't been glaring before, she sure was now. Not that Grandma Tilly cared. She gave a small laugh and rolled her eyes

"And what were you doing whilst you weren't in school?" Her emerald eyes peered over her thin silver glasses at me

"Shopping with a friend" I told her honestly

She made a disapproving tsk with her fine lips "I bet you won't do that again any time soon"

"No she definitely won't" Mum piped in, tossing together her pre-organised salad

"And what about your friends, are they influencing you with these silly decisions?" Tilly continued, merely curious

I shook my head "Actually, I was the instigator this time"