He Had Arrived

Old Man: 'Ah... You are finally here.'

Visitor: 'It just so happens I am... Yes.'

A broad, engulfing silence fell over the pair.

It was quite late into the night.

Visitors such as this one can come at any time as they please.

Not necessarily welcomed,

But they arrive and work on their own schedule.

Old Man: 'Well come in I suppose. Have a seat. Please.'

The old man was quite spent on his energy,

But refused to forget his manners.

Visitor: 'Such a kind old man you are. Thank you, but that won't be necessary. For I won't be here much longer.'

The old man mustered as much shock as he could,

Old Man: 'Oh! What a pity. Well, I must admit I have been waiting for you.'

This thoroughly shocked the visitor.

Visitor: 'Waiting? For me? Normally one does not wish for me to arrive. What bothers you my friend?'

Old Man: 'An old withered body is what. I am confined to this small space. Unable to fend for myself. What existence is this to be? I was never meant for it. A younger, more nimble me would be appalled at such a sight. I do not understand. Why must this happen to me?'

The visitor looked at the old man up and down to give an explanation.

The visitor shrugged,

Visitor: 'It is not as if this was some fixing of a curse, or an avoidable situation my friend. It happens to all after one point or the next. Tis not to be ashamed of such a state. For you are still here. Many friends of yours I have come to visit. Many friends asked the same question. Why are all of you the same? I do not understand myself, how such similar conclusions are to be shared among friends who have not seen each other in that of decades!'

The old man grew annoyed for he was disappointed he showed to be just like his counterparts.

Old Man: 'Forgive me good sir. I do not mean to repeat similar situations. For I am one of a kind am I not?'

The visitor nodded.

Visitor: 'Indeed you are old friend. And quite a life you have crafted for yourself. Most impressive. Your life shall be remembered for several generations to come. He proud of that. There are those you befriended in your youth who are not even spoken of anymore. You proved to be a wolf amongst sheep. Yes, you are correct, there were days in which you howled such as any beast would in the night.'

This put the old man in a much better mood.

Visitor: 'But now is the time for fact to become legend old friend. For you know what I am here to take?'

The old man nodded his old, withered, grey head up and down.

Visitor: 'Good.'

The visitor raised his hand,

The old man followed suit.

Visitor: 'May your rest be ever peaceful old friend.'

The old man gently placed his hand in the visitors.

And the old man's rest finally began.