#13 - Pear and Pecan Stuffing

Stuffing is a holiday classic, but this recipe is for a different style! Pears, pecans, and squash make this dish simply delicious! This stuffing is vegetarian and takes over an hour to prepare, it also serves 6-8.

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
1 whole wheat baguette, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium Bosc pears, peeled, cored and cut into  6 wedges each
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut
1 medium onion, minced
kosher salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Directions
1. With the oven rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place the bread in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

2. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; once hot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the pears, cut side down, and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip the pears and brown on a second side, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the pears to a bowl and set aside.

3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook until caramelized, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the thyme and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and cook until just warmed through, about 2 minutes.

4. Transfer the squash mixture to the bowl with the bread. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and mix to combine. Spread the stuffing evenly into the baking dish. Nestle the pears into evenly into the baking dish. Nestle the pears into the top of the stuffing. Sprinkle with the pecans and bake until the top is lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.