Chapter Three

Chapter Three

   "HOW could you get us in a battle with The Signs, Bird?" Vulcan asked, suddenly in front of me. They dragged me away from Bruce and I had no qualms. I had no idea that he was in The Signs or I would never have agreed without asking JoJo first.

"Guys just calm down. We can figure this out," I said to them, biting my lip nervously. I knew that we were good but they were good too.

I went through my memory, trying desperately to pull anything from my memory that we could use to our advantage while the guys stood around me in a huddle. I didn't pay any attention to their furtive whispers until it hit me.

"...think we should try what we did at-" I had to cut him off.

"Guys! I know what we have to do." It all made perfect sense now. "We always challenge someone, you know, single someone out and bring them to the forefront to lead... I know who it has to be."

"Who?" RayJay asked, tired of wracking his brain for an answer.

"Bruce," I stated obviously. They all looked at me like I was crazy but they hadn't heard my reasoning yet. "You have to hear me out on this one." I pleaded. "Look at his body." I gestured to Bruce, standing with the other members of The Signs.

"Now is not a time to be checking out guys, Bird," JoJo chastised.

"No, it's not that! I noticed it early. He's still soft. He hasn't been with them that long and he'll wear out easily. We just have to get him to exert himself for a while and he'll be done."

"How can you tell just from looking at him?" Vulcan decided it was his time to chirp in with an opinion.

"Didn't you see his tattoo? They mark their wins on their bodies, you know that. He only had one. We can do this if we play our cards right." I looked at them all individually after I'd presented my case. My eyes fell on D last and I knew it was because I treasured his judgment most.

"She's right and we all know it," D said. "Now I know that this will be difficult at first but if anyone can do it, it's us. Who are we?" D asked.

"The Prides."

"And we are?"

"Proud." I smiled, knowing where he was going.

"Who are we?"

"The Prides!" We all yelled together.

"And we are?"

"Proud!"

We huddled together, a family again, and said a quick prayer before we prepared ourselves each in our own way. I was hopping from one foot to the other with nervous anticipation before we were called to the stage by Cal.

The Signs took one side and we took the opposite. "Okay guys, we got a real fine battle for y'all tonight!" Cal announced into a mic. "We've got The Signs," he paused to let the overwhelming applause and cheers run their course. "Battling The Prides." A much quieter response followed our name and we even got some boos but I didn't care. At least a few people liked us. "Here we go."

The music started and The Signs exploded from their side. They walked towards us in perfect synchronization and danced when they were about a foot away.

I was trying to absorb as much of the action as I could. They had two men off to the side spinning in a mindless way that hypnotized you as they raised and lowered themselves during their spins before they both dropped to the floor. In the center they formed a group around two central dancers who were circling each other as though sizing each other up for a fight. The dancers in the large circle were jumping, spinning, using their arms in stiff then fluid movements. The two in the middle occasionally lept at each other before flying apart. When they finished they walked towards JoJo and widened their arms as if to say "Bring it."