Chapter Two

Chapter Two

   BRUCE led me onto the dance floor and put my hands around his neck before winding his own around my waist. I was no stranger to slow dancing because of how much I learned with Chase, he being our residential ballroom professional in the group.

Bruce's chocolate brown eyes never left my own as we spun in a slow circle, he seemed content to keep it at a box step, whereas I was feeling bored by the simple steps. I wanted nothing more than to crank up some real music and show these stuck up, "high class", elitists how to really dance.

Biting my bottom lip, I managed to reign in the desire to break free from the chains binding me to this conformist society within the gala itself.

Bruce must have thought I bit my lip for another reason because he leaned in to whisper in my ear. "If dancing with me like this has you biting your lip, I'd love to see what you would do for some real dancing." My eyes must have brightened with the thought of real dancing because he smirked at me, flicking his head to the side to clear away his shaggy blonde hair. "You like that don't you?" he asked, certain that I was responding to his lame advances.

I had to tip my head back and laugh at a very un-ladylike volume causing a few people to turn and look at us as we continued to move in time with the music. He gave me a questioning look which just caused me to laugh again. "I would love to see some 'real dancing' from you," I responded, sparing a look at his tall athletic frame. He looked like he played a sport but he was nowhere near fit enough to keep up with the kind of athletics my crew and I put ourselves through on a daily basis.

"Do you like what you see?" He still had the same cocky smirk on his face that would appear attractive to someone else.

I laughed through my nose this time, much quieter and attracted no unwanted attention. "I'm just curious as to your style of dancing..." I admitted truthfully with a playful smirk dancing around the edges of my lips.

"You dance?" he sounded surprised as though the thought had never occurred to him.

"Just a little," I told him, laughing on the inside this time at his complete lack of tactics in this particular situation.

"Let's test that. Come on, I know the perfect place." His devilish smirk grew and I wasn't going to deny him anything at this moment because I wanted to get out of here more than one would believe. I was nearly bored to tears.

My mother nodded her head approvingly as Bruce escorted me from the ballroom. With my hand in the crook of his arm, I allowed him to lead me out into the cool night air. Upon seeing me the valet brought my car and his around to the front of the hotel.

"Nice ride," he commented. "Just follow me."

I nodded with a content smile on my face, finally free of the judgmental and lustful glances that plagued the gala. I held my skirts as I got in my car. When Bruce started to drive off I followed quickly behind, never straying too far on the unfamiliar roads.

When he parked I could see a sea of people in a large circle around something in the center that was lost to my line of vision. I got out of my car and moved to the trunk to get my duffle bag out.

"What are you getting?" Bruce asked, peaking around me curiously.

I shoved the bag at him, "Hold this." I unzipped my duffle and pulled out a pair of faded jeans with the knees ripped to shreds from spinning on them so much. I kicked off my shoes and pulled my jeans on under my dress before putting my shoes back on. I grabbed my sports bra and the green tank top from the bag too and stared Bruce right in the eyes. "If you look I'll kill you," I said before turning my back to him and unzipping my dress.

I slipped the rest of my clothes on and pulled the pins from my hair, shaking it free from it's confines. I rolled up my gown and tossed it into the back along with the duffle bag. I took my hoodie from the back seat and turned to look at Bruce who was dutifully looking the other direction. I walked in front of him and he looked up from the ground and smiled.

"Maybe I underestimated you, Samantha." Bruce said, making no secret that he was checking me out.

"Maybe," I smirked. "Where are we doing this?" I asked, looking around. I was ready to show Bruce up because I had a feeling this wasn't going to be just any friendly show between friends. This was going to be a battle.

"Over here." He led me through the crowd and surprisingly they all just let him through. We walked through, completely unopposed by the crowd, until we came to the center of the circle where I could see a large cleared area of space.

In the open space there were two crews. One crew was watching while the other danced before them to the music blaring from a few speakers set up around the "stage". I watched with interest as two members of the crew catapulted a third into the center where he did a standing back flip before launching into a series of amazing turns and movements. The rest of their crew followed him in perfect sync while everyone cheered them on.

I hadn't realized I'd stopped moving until Bruce grabbed my wrist and tugged me to the DJ who was stationed behind a laptop and some complicated looking controls in the back of an SUV. "Hey Cal, me and my girl Sam are up next." Bruce said with an air of confidence I hadn't noticed he carried before.

"Okay, are you going with your crew?" Cal asked, typing something into his laptop. "Or does the little lady not have one?"

He was looking at me but Bruce answered. "No we'll be solo."

"I have a crew." I chimed in. "Give me ten minutes and they'll be here." I nodded my head at Cal and he shot me a smile that was missing a tooth.

Bruce walked me a little ways away from Cal and looked skeptically at me. "You have a crew?"

"Yeah, I run with The Prides." I told him, smiling broadly as I pulled out my phone. I dialed JoJo and waited for him to answer.

"What's up Bird? I thought that party wasn't over until late..." JoJo sounded irritated and I knew why, he hated when I had to skip out on practices.

"JoJo I need you to get the guys together and come to the abandoned factory by the river. We're dancing in ten."

"Bird, I'll be right there!" I knew that would get him to forgive me because if there was anything JoJo loved, it was dancing. And besides, a battle meant cash and the crew was in need of some money. Even though my parents were far from poor that didn't mean I was. The only time I saw a dime of their money was when they needed me for something and there was no way they could get by without me.

We hung up and while I waited I bounced from one foot to the other, letting the music and cheers from the crowd take over me. I closed my eyes and smiled at the thought of dancing with my boys tonight. It was like I got some kind of high from the cheers and pure thrill of dancing.

Before long RayJay's gray Honda Civic was pulling into the parking lot and I saw all the guys get out. JoJo led the way to me with D and Chase flanking him and RayJay and Vulcan behind them with Marx and TT behind them. To anyone else they'd look imposing and intimidating but to me they were like my older brothers and they cared for me like no other.

I waved them over and as soon as they saw me D came running up to me and threw me over his shoulder. "Who's the stiff, Bird? You know I don't like you hanging around with other guys..." I'd bonded with D immediately and he definitely took his role as my big brother seriously.

"His name is Bruce. We're going against his crew tonight." All the guys heard me and it was Vulcan who decided to speak next.

"Who do you run with, Bruce?" He paused before saying Bruce as though it would somehow intimidate him.

In lieu of an answer Bruce unbuttoned his dress shirt and underneath I could see the trademark ink from none other than The Signs.

The number one enemy of The Prides.

~~

Here it is, Chapter Two. I'll start working on the next immediately because I'm in a writing mood and next week I have finals. If you notice anything that can be improved upon (More detail, dialogue, etc...)  just let me know and I'll take it into consideration. I hope you enjoyed. Vote and Comment.

♥ P.H.