Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

       SLAMMING the door shut behind me, I tore out of the house and onto the driveway. I heard the door open behind me and the sound of dozens of feet hitting the pavement behind me.

I raced down the curving driveway, running the the grass in a straight shot to minimize the distance. The grass was still slick with morning dew and I stumbled, catching myself on my hands and using the motion to propel myself forward again.

The feet were closer to me now and gaining. On the street I looked around for any cars and darted across the street. I ran for all I was worth but I couldn't seem to shake any of The Signs. They were keeping pace with me, not putting any more or less distance between us.

As I took a corner, I grabbed ahold of one of the street signs and used it to aid my turn. I was on a smaller side street now and the buildings were close together. At the end of the street it split out to two different directions. On the other side of the road, there was a tall brick wall that kept cars from driving into the lawn of someone's estate.

I turned right on the road, the road widened out a little more but I didn't pay much attention because I was off again on the closest side street. At every small street I found, I detoured, hoping to loose the small army I had chasing me. Eventually I found myself on the main street and I let out a grateful breath. I knew where I was now.

I still didn't slow my pace as I ran a few more blocks and ducked into the bushes in front of my old school. I pressed myself up tight against the wall and the foliage covered me perfectly.

My breaths were coming in short gasps but I tried to breath deeply and quietly. It wasn't working. Sweat trickled down my back and a shiver ran down my spine.

Someone ran past where I was hiding and not far behind them were more footsteps. "Stop." I heard Ronnie shout at everyone. "She's comfortable here. She's probably tucked away in some place we'll never find her. Do a quick search, if you don't find her, I want people on her house, that club house they have, her favorite restaurant. If she goes there I want one of you there waiting for her. Alright, I'll take their club house."

Ronnie stalked away and I held my breath until I couldn't hear him any more. When he was gone the rest of The Signs did as they were told. They peeked around corners, looked in dumpsters, and even poked around in the bushes. When one of them reached their hand in the bush I was hiding behind, I held my breath and pressed myself as far against the wall as I could. They were maybe two inches from touching my chest.

"Come on. She's not here. You heard Ronnie, spread out and find her. I'll take her house. You know what to do." The owner of the hand retracted it and walked away. As they were walking away I heard the same person speak. "Bruce. You stay here in case we missed her."

"But we already look-" he protested.

"Doesn't matter. You're lucky we let you out of the D Room at all. Stay. Here." The rest of The Signs left and I could hear Bruce's angry mumbling and pacing.

He quit pacing and I could hear him over by the main entrance of the school. He was still mumbling angrily and then he suddenly shouted. "If you can hear me Sam, just leave. You've ruined enough of this for me. Just leave. I'll let you walk away."

The offer was tempting but I had no way in telling if he was sincere or not. I would wait him out. I couldn't take the risk and end up back in that house. Besides, where would I go? There were easily twenty members of The Signs and they were each waiting at any place I could go... I may have been out of Ronnie's house but now I was just stuck in a bush.

I looked down at my hands and was pleased that they had stopped shaking now. The adrenaline rush that I was on was slowly fading and my breathing had returned to normal.

I don't know how long I sat there in that position but eventually my legs started to go numb. As I readjusted my position I risked sneaking a peek at Bruce. He had his back up against one of the metal poles that held the porch up. His back was to me and he wasn't moving. Now would be the perfect time to make my move.

Slowly, I crept backwards to the edge of the row of bushes. The needles scratched at my arms but I stayed silent, afraid Bruce would hear me and chase me down again. I slipped silently free of the bushes and crept along the side of the school. Bruce couldn't see me but I didn't want to risk him hearing me.

When I was at the back of the school, I hopped the fence that separated the parking lot from someone's yard and took off like a bat out of hell. The club house and my house were both only a few minutes walk away but I knew I couldn't risk going to either of those places.

I needed to go somewhere they would never think to look for me. Somewhere they'd never expect me to go. The one place where I knew there would be no Signs to stop me. I had to go back to their clubhouse!

~~

So? Unexpected plot twist? I try. *nonchalant shrug*

I know this was short but that's because I already have a plan for the next chapter and I'm being very gracious by giving you this present. I thought you'd like it.

Maybe another up later today? If not, Monday fo sho'. I work all weekend so that will be pushing it...

Enjoy.

Vote?

Comment!

♥P.H.