Chapter 2

Dedicated to: My buddy Lozzyloo22 for always reading and being supportive of my writing.

   *************************************************************************************************

I shoved open the double doors forcefully. The cold air was like ice against my face, freezing my tears in their tracks. The heels of my shoes sunk into the moist earth below as I stumbled across the gravel and into a small garden that was completely hidden from view. I slumped down on the stone bench and sobbed quietly. What was wrong with me? This was the first time I had ever seen him and already my heart was crumbling into pieces. Why was I acting like this? I had to get a grip.

But no matter how many times I tried to control my emotions, sadness would overwhelm me like a huge wave, threatening to engulf me and pull me into its dark depths.

After a while I heard hurried footsteps approaching. Fear gripped my heart and my eyes darted around, searching for a place to hide; but there was none. I quickly brushed away the lingering tears before turning towards the archway, wide-eyed and hot panic pulsing through my veins.

My heart fluttered to a stop. It was him. His eyes were warm and sympathetic as they gazed over my pathetic form. Slowly, he came over to sit beside me. His arm brushed against mine and a blush crept into my cheeks. The feeling sent pleasant shivers through me. His hand reached up and swept my long black hair away from my face. It rested on my cheek for a moment before dropping back into his lap.

“Hey” he murmured in a comforting way; his voice so smooth and flowing I just wanted to collapse into his arms. “It’s ok.”

Suddenly, I wanted to scream. All of this was definitely not ok. I loved him passionately, wanted him so badly. But then, the repulsive image of him and Ellen, together, drifted through my mind; hands entwined, lips touching.

I sprang up, anger radiating from my pores and meant to storm away purposefully, but I was tripped by a large stone which lay in my path. He was there instantly; his muscular arms twisted around my waist to stop me from toppling over. I glanced up at him, needing to thank him, but his stunningly handsome face took my breath away.

“What’s your name?” he asked, staring down at me with interest shining brightly in his glistening eyes.

“Alice” I replied awkwardly, “And yours?”

“Josh.” He answered, flashing a perfect smile that turned my legs to jelly. He laughed gently as his grip on me tightened, holding me up. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment and I squirmed, trying desperately to wriggle free from his supportive hold, but I was defeated. 

We stood together, the minutes of silence passing. The warmth of his body made my skin tingle with excitement and his gentle but firm grasp felt protective. I leaned into him, nestling my head on his chest, hearing the relaxing rhythm of his softly beating heart.

But it was joined by another sound which echoed through the calm night, the sound of a pair of heels rapidly approaching.

I pulled away from Josh at the exact second that Ellen rounded the corner and stepped into view. Her expression was curious as she took in the scene. I was sure that the colour of my cheeks must have given me away as they burned crimson again. When her eyes found mine she scowled and shot me a death glare that made my blood run cold. She strode over to Josh and ran her fingers up his arm in a tender, loving way until they curled around his cheek. That was when I noticed the glistering ring on her finger.

The sight made my stomach turn and I felt sick. This could not be happening.

I gawped at the diamond that seemed to sparkle brighter with every second that passed, torturing me slowly. An evil smirk played on Ellen’s lips and she raised one perfect eyebrow as her mocking eyes held mine. “He didn’t tell you we were engaged?” She taunted, registering the shock that was plastered all over my face.

I simply stared. This wasn’t real. How could he not have told me? I felt betrayed. Unwanted.

I turned on my heel to leave, not wanting to experience the sickening love seen that would surely follow. Josh’s eyes scorched the back of neck and made my skin prickle uncomfortably, but I carried on walking, back towards the party.

My feet dragged underneath me as I rejoined my friends at the bar. Chloe handed me a glass of champagne which I downed in one before snatching another. I was exhausted, drained of energy.

And for the rest of the night I promised myself that I would erase all of my feelings for Josh Hayes.