Hospital room

Everything was silent. Well everything was silent for a while. All I could see was blackness. A black hole that I had no escape from. Some time passed, then there was beeping. A soft steady beep in my ear. Shuffling was heard. Nurses and doctors were conversing and a hoarse cough was heard from across the room.

Soon the doctors left and there was only the cough. Just one cough meant so much to me. "Hello." He spoke. His voice was raspy and deep like he hasn't talked for days. It sent shivers down my spine. I tried to respond but out came out only a tiny squeak. I flushed as he chuckled at me. "It's fine you don't have to talk."

After a while of silence he spoke again. "I see your name is Alec. That's a beautiful name for a beautiful young boy like you." I struggle to open my eyes, to see him, but to no avail. Only then do I remember I no longer have the sense of sight. That's why I'm in this hospital.

"Well my name is Magnus and I'm in here because one of my lungs collapsed." (a/n I know they're different parts of the hospital for different things but "bear" with me here) "I'm sorry to hear that." I finally say. He stays silent, probably shrugging his shoulder and he just said it's "No big deal."

We sat and talked for a while. I liked him as my roommate until he left. Then it was just silence again. The darkness. The constant beeping in my ear, telling me that I'm alive. "But if this is what living feels like, then I don't want to do it. I actually want a purpose in life."