Braelyn; Desolate

"Lorien!" I bolted upright, cold sweat sliding down my temples. It dropped into my mess of amber hair. The air was damp with fear. It slithered through the air like a noxious gas. I could feel it pressing around me in a haze of dense emotion.

It was as thought death's hands were closing around my neck. His bone thin fingers slid through my prison.

I felt around for the walls, stumbling in the pitch black. My foot hit a loose brick and I tripped. I fell face first, my forehead smacking into the wet, grimy, floor. I scrambled back feeling my head throbbing, it felt like it was about to split open. I could feel warm blood bubbling from a cut on my forehead and I repressed the urge to shriek.

We didn't have places like this in Lytian. No prisoner, not even the worst kind would be subjected to this sort of torture. I tried to think of anywhere in my home, that would hide such a place. My head was pounding, my hands burned from the scrapes along my palms.

Suddenly, a horrible feeling of loneliness enveloped me. I opened my mouth, quivering,

"R-Rayne?"

I was met with only silence.

Rayne. My sister. My twin. Was gone.

"Rayne?" a voice behind me whispered.

I whipped around to face only darkness.

"Wh-Who's there!" I called out, feeling stupid.

A shuffling reverberated around the walls. A figure moved through the shadows. I crept backwards, there was only one shaft of moonlight filtering through the cavernous room. I could tell the figure was heading right for it. Something moved closer and closer. I flinched away until my back was against the wall.

And then I screamed.

It was a skeleton.