Luke; Arrogant

"Put the mask down and no one gets hurt," I growled low in my throat. Glaring angrily, I extended one hand, palms upward. The threat hung in the air as I stared directly into the opposing party's eyes.

The cat's tiny white teeth bit into the mask. It bit down harder on the scarlet porcelain, I could hear the tiny cracking sounds. I cringed.

"My favorite Mask," I whimpered softly.

The cat tilted its head questioningly, its transient white whiskers twitching. Suddenly, quick as a flash, my hand shot out, grabbing the cat by the scruff of it's neck. Snatching the mask from between it's surprised mouth. I dropped it, yowling, on the floor.

"Damn cats," I muttered under my breath. The whole place was infested with them. Walking towards the other side of the room, I hung the scarlet mask on one of the many masks littering my walls.

It's obsanity. Don't question it.

My room was black. Night black with splashes of gray. The drab bed in the corner had been shoved all the way to the wall, giving the impression that the room was a larger than it really was. The small lamp on my desk was situated on the other side of the wall, the mahogany wood and silver chair pressed against each other. It was boring. Lame. Black. Sort of like my soul.

A soft knocking came from the doorway and I called out, "Come in!"

A small furry figure strutted into the room. The cat sat back on its haunches, staring at me through slanted sage eyes.

"Make it fast Auster," I sighed impatiently. The cat merely blinked before leaping into the air. Mid-air, it's form began to stretch out. The feline shape melded away into a distinctly human one, the hair receding and claws retracting. In front of me kneeled one of my attendants.

"How did the latest escape attempt go?" I said conversationally.

He growled, baring his pointed teeth. "What do you think?"

I shrugged, smirking at how riled up he was getting. "Hey, hey. I was just making small talk."

He sent me a withering glare before handing the letter over and stalking out the door. As he left, he turned to me,

"You never understand why I keep trying to break out of here, do you?"

I broke the seal of the letter.

"You're only a pampered prince," he spat, "you'll never understand the hardships commoners have to face."

"Really now?" I said offhandedly, "That's interesting."

In a deadly soft voice he whispered, "Just you wait. One day everything you hold dear will fall. Just as mine did."

His voice was bright with pain. I could almost see the memories flashing before his eyes. He was the sole survivor on the attack on the insignificant town of Drai. I bit back a laugh, overdramatic little servant.

I scanned the letter with Auster's words ringing in my ears.

What did you know about being royalty?

In neat script, the letter was written in an ebony black. In some places the wording was smudged, Uncle must've written this recently, I thought. I scanned it quickly, then an icy shock ran down my back. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Casting a look around, I checked to see if I was indeed alone, this letter was urgent. Folding it up tightly, I held it against the flame of a burning candle.

The ashes fell to the floor along with the secrets it held.

~~~

1/2 of the upcoming chapter.