Chapter 50

Germain was practically bouncing with glee. He was done. He wasn't that delusional, but he'd be damned if he didn't take them down with him, particularly his daughter, brother and Paris' favorite heroine: Ladybug.

"Behold, Paris' savior that my brother has chosen to allow to run loose on the streets of Paris, doling out justice as she deems fit. A mere child." He signaled Pierre and the man threw Marinette to the ground in front of Germain. Her black and red dress on theme, and driving his imagery home even better.

He showed another picture of Ladybug, mid transformation and Marinette's face was clear as day. He delighted in the gasps of surprise that ricocheted around the room.

"This is who Mayor Bourgeois has chosen to give unfettered power. Accountable to no one, she roams the streets at night. You've been safe so far, but wait a few days. We all know how flighty teenage girls can be." He saw that point hit home with a few of the older gentlemen in the room, and he noticed more than a few were government and industry leaders themselves.

"Explain yourself, André." A voice boomed from the left center of the room and Germain saw Abelard DuPont step forwards. He smirked. Abelard had not been one of his supporters, though Germain and he had a mutually beneficial relationship and Abelard had helped him more than once with connections and funding. As the leader of the opposition party, he too was looking for anyway to discredit André. He craved power almost as much as Germain. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

André stepped forward, but someone beat him to it.

"This is ridiculous." Chloé stepped onto the dance floor which was still vacant and just happened to be covered by a dome for the best acoustics so everyone could hear her voice. She knew how to position herself in a room.

"Ah, if it isn't my precious daughter. Come to help daddy?" Startled gasps echoed through the room as heads swiveled to look at André. Germain was pleased to see the strained look on his brother's face, but noticed it wasn't aimed at him. André was staring worriedly at Chloé. How boring.

Chloé, on the other hand, was unfazed by the shock around her. She crossed her arms and raised and eyebrow.

"Puh-lease," she drew out the word and rolled her eyes. "You're nothing but a sperm-donor and an estranged uncle. My true father is one-hundred times the man you'll ever be. He doesn't need to make up stories and terrorize teenage girls just to feel better about himself." She turned to address the crowd over her shoulder. "If this isn't a cry for attention, I don't know what is. And here I thought I was the drama queen in the family."

She got more than a few laughs from her remark, and Germain slowly felt the room start to slip from his grasp.

"From one confused child trying to protect another. My dear countrymen, I have proof!" He pointed to the screen and everyone gasped, but not at his images. That was the moment another unexpected guest dropped in.

Swinging down from the balcony and coming to stand just inches away from Chloé was Ladybug herself.

"Have something to say to me, Germain?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chloé watched with a smile as her uncle floundered for what to say. He pointed uselessly up towards the screen with the picture of Marinette-Ladybug in a futile attempt to reconcile what he saw there with the truth he saw in front of him.

Marinette got up off the stage, brushing herself off, and slapping menacingly at Pierre when he reached to restrain her again. With her head held high in dignity she walked down off the stage and stood next to Chloé and Ladybug.

"This--This is a trick!" Germain managed, and Marinette and Ladybug just looked at each other.

"We look enough alike, I suppose." Ladybug looked Marinette up and down. " And I'm flattered you think I look young enough to be a teenager. Especially one with such great taste in clothes." She winked at Marinette before turning her attention back to Germain. "But honestly, Germain, do some research. There are references to Ladybug in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics." She rolled her eyes.

"Nice photo shop, but the people of Paris are done with your lies." Chloé, looked over as her father came to stand beside her, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"I could not have said it better, my dear. Guards!" He called to the police waiting patiently for his signal. "Take him away. My brother will face a full investigation and trial for his crimes." He turned and addressed the crowd with the last part. "Ladybug," He added, turning to the spotted heroine. "Thank you, again, for your continued service. Paris is grateful for your protection, as always."

Ladybug just smiled and winked at Chloé and Marinette.

"Happy to help, as always Mr. Mayor. Bug out!" She swung up to the balcony and out and open window into the Parisian night sky.

Adrien walked up, and embraced Marinette.

"Are you done scaring me to death?" He asked, but there was a smile playing on his lips. "Seven lives now, Mari."

She laughed.

"No promises, chaton."

Alya and Nino joined them then followed shortly by Mathys after Chloé had waved him over. Alya looked exhausted, but pleased and was sipping a cup of espresso while Nino held another for her on deck.

"What happened to you?" Adrien looked perplexed.

"We took down the bad guy." She answered simply, yawning behind her hand and sharing a smile with Chloé and Marinette.

"The plan, my dude." Nino explained, and Adrien laughed out loud.

"Of course!" he smiled brightly at Alya. "I completely forgot."

"And that's why we're here," Marinette patted his chest lightly. "Now come on, Kitty. Show me that chat-like grace. I want to dance."

And he happily obliged.