Chapter 48

It had been a couple of months, and no word from Germain. He'd texted Chloé a brief "not safe" and then promptly disconnected his phone. They'd been worried about it for a few weeks, but they'd since moved on. No more threats had been made against Ladybug, or anyone for that matter. In fact, without Hawkmoth akumatizing victims, things had been downright boring. Adrien joked that they were all going to get rusty and maybe they could retire early. They all were happy to joke about it, and after the hell his family went through, Marinette did not begrudge Adrien his carefree attitude.

For over a week after the initial threat, he'd slept on her chaise lounge, determined to be ready when something happened. But Marinette finally convinced him to go home, sounding more certain than she actually felt when she told him it was just an empty threat. He'd been reluctant at first, but his lighthearted and joyful self finally came back in full swing. Maybe Marinette had become a better actor in the last few weeks, or maybe he'd just wanted to believe the lie as much as she did.

For her part, there was no question of getting "rusty". She patrolled every night, keeping her stamina and vigilance up. And she wasn't the only one who still felt like this wasn't over. One night she ran into Queen Bee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two just stared at each other.

"Thank god you're not being oblivious too." Queen remarked finally.

"They're not oblivious, they're just trying to be optimistic." Ladybug quickly defended them, but then added, "I honestly think most of it is for my benefit. They don't want to drag it out because they don't want to worry me."

"Is it working?" Queen raised and eyebrow and when she saw Ladybug's face she snorted. "Of course not. C'mon," She turned and started towards the south. "I need to get better at fighting, you can spar with me."

Without further discussion, that's what they did. Every night, she and Queen Bee met for half an hour, did a patrol of their own and then sparred for the rest of the time. She'd mentioned it briefly to Adrien and the others one lunch, that she was teaching Chloé some things and maybe they should all get together and train sometime.

"Yeah, we definitely should!" Alya agreed readily, and then her and the boys started comparing schedules about when they would all be free, but they never settled on a time. They were going back to their lives, and she was happy they could move on so readily, even if she couldn't. She looked over and caught Chloé's eye. The blonde had started eating lunch with them sometimes, and Marinette found herself grateful for her presence. This wasn't over for Chloé either. They shared a small smile, and then rejoined the conversation. There was no reason to push the others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few nights later, Adrien surprised her by bringing that conversation up.

"We should patrol. I miss doing that with you." He turned his head towards her. They were lying in opposite directions, heads next to each other, as they looked at the stars from her balcony. She loved living in a quieter part of the city where the light pollution didn't quite cancel out the night sky. Adrien had started using the excuse that he wanted to come over to see his star, he claimed to be referring to the constellation Leo, but he made enough terrible star puns, that it had taken on a double meaning to refer to her too.

"I know you still do," he continued and she looked over at him in surprise. He just smiled softly. "I know this isn't over for you, and you're still a little paranoid that he's going to come back. I try not to think about it because...because I can't imagine someone taking you from me like my mom was, but I don't want to just ignore it. I want you to talk to me if you need to."

"I've been patrolling with Chloé every night," she blurted out and focused on the stars, though she could feel his eyes on her face. "She...Not that I don't miss racing through Paris with you, chaton. I do. It's just, she..."

"She gets it. This isn't over for Chloé either. As much as we all ignore it, he's family to her, even if you ignore the biological father part and even if they're estranged," he finished for her.

"Exactly," Marinette let out a long breath. "I think she feels some secondhand guilt, which is ridiculous because she is in no way responsible for that man--"

"But humans aren't always rational, even our ever-logical Chloé."

She looked over at him.

"No, we're not," she whispered softly and closed her eyes as she rested her forehead against his.

"Amazing," he whispered, and when she opened her eyes, his gaze was directed at her, not the stars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another few weeks past, and Marinette felt the tension slowly leak out of her body. Chat had started meeting them occasionally for patrols, and so had Volpina and Honu, although less frequently. Somehow knowing they were all still in this, supporting her and Chloé, relieved some of her worry. This was their fight and her friends stepped up to help carry the burden. She was still on guard, but she couldn't live her life under the insurmountable stress, so together with her friends, her and Chloé tried to move on.

One morning when she was feeling particularly carefree, she walked up to her locker to see it decked out with roses and balloons. She froze as a shot of panic coursed through her body remembering the last time someone sent her a message through her locker. Then she saw Adrien, and tried to quickly compose her face. His wide grin still fell as he caught her reaction and he rushed to her side.

"Shit, I'm sorry! I didn't think--I wasn't trying to--"

"It's okay. I'm fine. It's...It's irrational. People slip notes in lockers all the time," She squeezed his hand as he kissed her forehead. "It's beautiful. What's it for?" She walked over and picked a rose, smelling it deeply.

"Well," he reached up and rubbed the back of his head in his nervous gesture, and she smiled into her flower. "This isn't exactly going how I'd hoped, but I was wondering if you'd like to go to the ball with me?"

"But I already said yes to formal?" She thought back at how cute and awkward he had been showing up at her house and formally asking her in front of her parents. In the suit his parents made him wear, of course.

"No, I mean, yes!" he hastily corrected. She had always been the flustered one, so a slightly evil part of her enjoyed how the tables had turned since they started dating. "But this is different. The mayor throws one every year to thank supporters and community leaders. Chloé got us all invitations, but I asked...If I could ask you?"

"Oh, so I'm invited either way." She stared at him and kept her face blank for as long as possible until he started to squirm a bit. She couldn't hold it long though, and broke out into a wide grin. Standing on her toes she kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck. She felt the tension release from his body as he held her. Pulling back, she smirked.

"Don't you know by now, kitty? I'd go anywhere with you."

"Good thing I have nine lives, Purr-incess." He smirked his signature Chat grin that got her every time. "Because I think my heart stopped just waiting for your answer."

So life was still dangerous, but luckily she had a certain blonde boy and a governor's ball to distract her. She allowed her mind to wander as she planned her and Alya's dresses. Maybe she'd even get Chloé into one of her creations.