Chapter 35

Gabriel left while Adrien was still interrogating Marinette, amused at his son's over-the-top reaction but a bit alarmed by its source. He was distraught to think that Adrien might emerge from this whole situation with a permanent scar on him and a constant worry and paranoia following him into his adult life. Gabriel had lived like that for too many years and knew what it did to his marriage and his relationship with his son. That was the last thing he wanted for Adrien.

He arrived at the shoot location, and quickly approved the frames taken that day. Thankfully, the director chosen for this morning was far more capable than the one the week before. "Artistic license" he had called the half-assed trash he'd submitted. Gabriel shook his head. The young man came from a prominent fashion family and had the benefit of the best education money could offer. Despite that, Gabriel was continually amazed by the arrogance of those who had perfect opportunities. You couldn't educate talent into someone. Though he himself came from an elitist family, he learned very young that your family name and wealth meant nothing without the character to back it up.

He was still lost in this train of thought when he stopped by his office to grab some materials he needed to go over before the spring show meeting he had Monday morning. He noted his assistant's surprise at seeing him so casual, even if it was a Sunday. Gabriel had traded his well-worn jeans for a pair of more fitted and darker denim and black turtleneck. While not casual by any means, it wasn't the suit that people seemed to assume was surgically attached to his body.

"Good afternoon, Edmund."He kept his face blank, but smiled inwardly as the man hurried to correct his expression.

Gabriel walked past him and into his office. He quickly grabbed some materials, and was back out the door. Just as he was waiting for the elevators, Edmund came scurrying over.

"Sir, forgive me, I almost forgot. This came for you by messenger this morning. I asked if it was urgent," he added hurriedly, "but I was assured it could wait until Monday. Since you stopped in, though..." He trailed off, still holding the envelope expectantly towards Gabriel.

The problem was that Gabriel had noticed the writing on the outside, and was extremely reluctant to take it from the man, as if by not touching it, it's contents didn't exist yet for him.

Reluctantly, he took the package, and nodded at Edmund, who hurried back to his desk. Holding it in his hands, he noticed it was substantially heavier than usual, and opened it to find a disk instead of the typical letter. There was a teal post-it on it. Adela's color. It read You were warned.

He spun on his heel and sprinted back to his office, slamming the door and ignoring the flabbergasted expression on his assistant's face. He inserted the CD into his computer, grateful that he hadn't updated his laptop yet to the newer models that no longer had the CD slot. The computer whirred and a notification to play the video popped up. With shaking fingers, he moved the mouse to hit 'play'.

He watched the video on repeat in horror, until finally he developed enough of a desensitization to his wife's pain to notice the other details. That's when he spotted it. Pinned to the wall in the background, but clear in the light coming from the movie camera, was a poster with Chat Noir and Ladybug on it.

He took a screenshot and enhanced it, until it was as clear as possible, and he started to understand Germain's plan and why he needed Hawkmoth so badly.

"Shit," he cursed and hurried to print the page. Careful to delete everything off his computer and extract the CD, he stored everything in the messanger bag he brought with him. Storming out of the office in a fury, he took the stairs instead.

He would not hide this from his son. As much as he wanted to shield Adrien from additional worry and emotional trauma, if their plan, and to be honest their relationship, was going to work, they needed transparency between them. Then he remembered Adela's face in the video. Maybe he wouldn't show them the video.