Chapter 3

He immediately blushed, and she couldn't help herself and broke out into giggles. When she had control of herself again, she smiles at him

"I'm sorry, i'm sorry," she said breathlessly, "even I'm not mature enough to ignore that one," she giggle again.

Chat smiled genuinely, her giggles bringing a much needed levity to his life.

"That's not what i meant," he said with a small smile. "But maybe one day, " he continued with a flirtatious grin. She smacked his arm, but it was without force; she was just so relieved to hear his usual self shine through the fog he had been under.

"I know what you meant chaton, " she sighed, getting back on topic.

"I need to reveal my identity to you. I just can't have all these lies in my life anymore," he stared at her, pleading with his eyes for her to understand. "I need someone to know me. All of me. Please." he added in a whisper. "You don't have to reveal your identity. In fact, " he stated suddenly, "I don't want you to. Not yet. Not until you're ready. But I am. I need to do this."

She stared into his face, as if looking for some invisible signal. After what seemed like an eternity, she nodded, and Chat released a breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

"Okay?" he asked.

"Okay" she responded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ladybug's heart was racing at a breakneck speed. He needed this. She knew that. She could see it in his eyes, clear as day, but she couldn't. Despite everything, she still had the niggling feeling of insecurity that he'd be disappointed if he knew. Everyone would. Marinette wasn't anything special, but she wanted Ladybug to be. She couldn't give up that sliver of mystery she had yet, not even to the person she trusted more than anyone. As long as it was a secret, she could pretend he'd be thrilled. That he'd still love the girl, not just the mask.

She held her breath as she saw the flash of green as he released his transformation.

"Uh, my lady?" he asked after a moment, and she realized she had closed her eyes.

Slowly, she opened one eye, and then both flew open, wide as saucers.

"Mon. Dieu." she gasped, feeling the world tilt a bit around her. She felt a prickling along the bridge of her nose, and then the tears started to flow. His face flashed in horror and sadness.

"No, no, no!" she practically shouted and tackled him, not wanting him to think for even a moment that she was at all disappointed. "Adrien!" she cried, pulling him impossibly close in an embrace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adrien hugged her back with as much force, infinitely relieved that he had misread her silence.

"Wait," he said pulling back suddenly. "Do we know each other?"

She blushed. Oh my god, he thought, I just made Ladybug blush. If anything could distract him from his current melancholy, that would be it.

"Yes," she revealed quietly. "But I'm not saying how," she continued with a coy smile.

" You'll tell me one day?"

"Yes, I promise" she said with a soft look in her eyes.

He grinned and pulled her back into his arms, and smiled even wider when he felt her nestle her nose into his neck. He relaxed, truly happy for the first time in a long time, despite the dour circumstances that lead to this moment.