Chapter 49

The night of the ball, Marinette stood fussing over and adding final details to her creations. She had made matching bow ties for the boys from the same fabric she made the girls dresses out of the week before, including Chloé's date who was a surprisingly kind and down to earth boy from the nearby prep school. They had met at one of her father's political functions; he was interning for the Minister of Culture who was in attendance. Apparently they hit it off immediately, but Marinette had to siphon that information out of Mathys, because Chloé's lips were sealed on the matter.

And yes, she convinced Chloé to let her design her dress. Chloé was annoyingly snobbish about it, demanding to see her portfolio and past examples of her work, but Marinette passed her inspection. She would never admit this, but she was secretly pleased.

The girls arrived about two hours before the ball, and the boys about thirty minutes. At Sabine's insistence, the girls descended one by one down the stairs to meet them.

"There are only a few times in life when a woman can make a grand entrance. Milk it, ladies," she'd said with a wink, and then ushered Marinette down first, her father's camera poised and ready, of course.

Marinette descended, her red, floor-length gown trailing behind her slightly as the intricate beadwork of her bodice sparkled in the low lighting of the room and her satin skirt swayed around her. She'd gone simpler for her own dress, settling on a sweetheart neckline covered by a single layer sheer mesh that created straps over her shoulder. On the bodice was a beaded embroidery of flowers and ladybugs. It all tapered at a simple black satin band before gathering into the satin skirt that fell like a waterfall down to her ballet slippered feet.

When she reached the last step and was sure she wouldn't trip, she looked up and saw the stunned look on Adrien's face. Smiling, she walked over more confidently, blessing her decision not to wear heels.

"Like what you see, mon chaton?" She smiled innocently up at him, enjoying his speechlessness.

"You. are. Breathtaking." He smiled radiantly down into her eyes, and she heard a sniff from her left.

She looked over at her father, who was crying slightly, her mother patting his back but smiling at her.

"Papa!" She was slightly alarmed, but her mother was chuckling.

"You're just so.. Cute!" her father burst out, and the rest of the room started laughing too, including Alya and Chloé who had stuck their heads out to watch Adrien's reaction.

"Okay, Tom. Pull yourself together." Sabine rolled her eyes, but was still suppressing some laughter herself. "Alya, you're next!"

The two girls shortly followed one another. Alya's sunset color dress styled in a vintage fashion. It gathered around her bust with two straps wrapping around her upper biceps. The silky material flared from under her bust falling to mid-shin in an ombre of orange to burgundy and highlighting the heeled black sandals she wore more confidently than Marinette could have. Chloé's was surprisingly not a shade of gold as the girl tended to gravitate towards. Instead, her lilac gown made her look equally ethereal, but not quite as unapproachable. It had a strapless bodice that was completely structured and corseted to about her navel before falling in a chiffon skirt to her toes. Plum threading accented the intricate woven pattern that crisscrossed the bodice and a silver layer under the skirt made Chloé literally sparkle. Her hair was left down for once and gathered to the side with an antique silver and amethyst hair comb that had been Chloé's mother's and the inspiration for the dress.

Marinette watched and allowed herself to feel pride at her creations. Chloé's in particular had taken forever because of the extremely fitted and structured nature of it, but she could tell how important the comb was to her and wanted it to be special.

Her mother walked over, smiling brightly at them all, kissing each girl on the cheek before her father took a few more photos. Marinette rolled her eyes, but was so happy for the normalcy of the night that she didn't complain.

They walked out to the waiting car with the boys, Marinette pleased to see Nino holding Alya's hand.

"Took them long enough," Adrien's voice sounded low in her ear as he bent into whisper to her.

"We all got there eventually," she smiled up at him, knowing he got her true meaning, and then they slipped into the car and went off to the ball.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night was perfect. Adrien was dancing with Marinette, and he could tell that for the first time in a long time, she was completely at ease. His parents were also in attendance, as were more than a few of his father's friends from the fashion industry. As three of her finest pieces of work we're currently on display in the ballroom, Gabriel took every opportunity to brag about his son and his very talented designer girlfriend. One friend who was in awe over Chloé's dress in particular remarked, "They'll be quite the power couple one day." His father simple answered, "They'll be happy."

Adrien felt his throat constrict with emotion overhearing his father's response, and was grateful for the millionth time in the last few months. They may have went through hell to get there, but his family had emerged stronger and together. With Marinette and their friends by his side too, Adrien thanked whatever gods were out there that he'd been so blessed.

This feeling was dampened slightly when an unexpected guest showed up. He had just gone to get some drinks, when he returned to find Marinette missing. He was glancing around for her when the screech of a microphone caught his attention. The entire ballroom seemed to be suspended motionless as all eyes turned towards the stage where the mayor was supposed to make his speech. And there was Marinette, being restrained behind Germain by some man Adrien didn't recognize.

"Pierre," Chloé's voice said from his left. He turned, not realizing his friends plus Mathys had gathered around him. "He works as an aid for my dad. Shit, I knew we couldn't have gotten everyone."

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome. Aren't you in for a treat." Germain maniacally smiled down at them all.

"What is his plan?" Adrien looked over at Chloé frantically, but she shook her head.

"Some people don't have a grander scheme. Their life crumbles and they just want the world to burn with them."

Adrien looked back up at Marinette, her hair loose from the struggle and his resolution set in.

"No way he's taking my girl with him," Alya voiced his thoughts exactly and with a nod to Chloé she and Nino disappeared.

Adrien didn't know what passed between them; he could only stare towards the stage.

"Allow me to introduce our honored guest of the night." Germain continued, and pointed up to the projection screen and the image of Marinette transforming flared to life. "Say hello to your precious Ladybug."