The Runaway Ch. 9

Sorry, i've been soooo busy. ill probably post the next two chapters. anyway, hope you enjoy!

     After about five minutes of sobbing I heard the man starting to stir. I walked over and kicked him in the head, hard. He grunted and fell again. I started to hear the rumble of thunder, and rain started to pour through the whole in the ceiling. The next time the thunder rumbled it sounded closer.

“We have to move it.” Devon said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because the man could wake up at any moment, and the rain and that lake can’t be good.”

“We can’t just leave my dad here.”

“We’ll come back when we figure out where we are and where we go.”

“I don’t like it, but I guess that’s what we’re gonna have to do.”

     All of a sudden the lightning crashed through the ceiling and a huge fire started. The flames grew quickly and I couldn’t see through the billows of smoke. Devon and my mom came clear, through, and my mom pointed at the door. I nodded and headed that way, crawling on the ground to avoid the smoke.

     We burst through the door and ran a couple feet. I looked up at the tower of flames and cried.

“DAD!” I screamed.

     Devon pushed me and my mom along. We found the man’s car and jumped inside. Devon took the driver’s seat, me in shotgun, and my mom in the back. Devon turned the keys and revved the engine. We zoomed out on the dirt road and flew down it, never looking back.

     An hour later we were just seeing signs of civilization. We stopped at a gas station to get food, after I found my purse with the $5,000 in it. We stalked up on slushees and chips. We strolled up to the counter and set the stuff down. I took the money out and Devon tapped me.

“One sec.” I said. He kept tapping me.

“I said one sec.” I looked at him. His eyes were huge and he was pointing behind the counter. Their, tapped on the wall was my picture, with WANTED FOR MURDER at the top. Who even had ‘wanted signs’ anymore? 

      I ran out into the car and locked the door. A minute later Devon and my mom casually walked out and shoved the food in the back. As soon as Devon came in I hugged him.

“What am I going to do?”

“We’ll just have to lie low for a while, and cut or dye your hair, get a spray tan. It’ll be fine.”

     I could feel my mom’s hand stroking my hair. We set back on the road again. I turned on the radio and flipped through the channels when I heard

“St.Claire killer not found. Warning, we are looking for a girl in her late teens, early twenties, with light brown hair, weight looks to be around 120 to 130 pounds height is 5 foot 5. If you have any information please call the tip hotline.”

     I couldn’t believe it. I grabbed a bag of chips and a slushee and ate until I had an extended belly. I’m a girl, I eat when I’m depressed. An extra large slushee and a family size Doritos bag later I was asleep.

     “Help me Elisa!” screamed my dad from inside the burning house.

“Help me.” he kept calling out my name. The trees caught fire and the smoke was choking me. All of a sudden a line of smoke and fire cleared and there was the man.

“Elisa, why did you run away?” he pulled out a knife.

“The fun was just starting.” He said, the cynical smile growing bigger on his face. His eyes started glowing yellow and sharp fangs protruded from his gums. Black wings sprouted from his back, and a deafening scream sounded from him. I covered my ears as he fell on me with the knife.

      I woke up screaming my head off. I looked around and Devon was shaking me while my mom just looked worried.

“You alright?” He asked.

“Yeah, fine. Just had a nightmare.” I said, my hands trembling.

     We were pulled off to the side of the road. Cars of all colors zoomed by, some honking their horns.

“Go, you’re making people mad.”

“Screw the people. I want to know if you’re ok.” Devon pressed.

“Well how do you think I am? I killed two people, my dad is dead, and we’re on the run from everyone who has one of those flyers. I don’t know about you, but I’m not ok. If it wasn’t for me we wouldn’t be in this mess.” I said angrily

“If it wasn’t for you,” Devon said “Then I wouldn’t have met the love of my life.” He took my hand and looked me strait in the eyes. I was sort of shocked that he said that so calmly.

“The reason I was even kidnapped was because I was over at your house asking your dad for his blessing. Every day, even when we were in that depressing shack, I found myself smiling because of you. You made me happy from day one. You want to know what your dad said to me? He said ‘take care of my daughter and love her like there isn’t going to be a tomorrow.’ He also gave me this.”

     He dug into his pocket and pulled out my great grandmother’s engagement ring.

     Tears started welling up in my eyes. This was the last thing I thought would happen. The cars still honked in the back round and my ankle stung with a burning sensation, but I couldn’t hear them over the sound of my heart beating in my throat.

“Elisa Rose Miller, will you marry me?”   

Thanks for reading. don't forget to comment below