The Runaway Ch. 3

Happy Mothers day! Here's the third chapter. Sorry for the first couple of chapters, things will pick up after this one, i'm just trying to fill in what's going on. Hope you enjoy!

     When I started to gain consciousness, I was being thrown around. I couldn’t hear anything. It was like I was deaf. My head was no longer in a pillow case. I slowly opened my eyes. It was dark out, which meant I must’ve been out for about ten hours.

     The back of my head was throbbing, and my body was achy. I tried to sit up, but hit my head on a ceiling. I winced and my head started pounding harder. Ceiling? That couldn’t be right. It had a scratchy carpet covering metal. I was in a car. More specifically, the trunk of a car. My hearing slowly came back, but all I heard was tires skidding on turns, and pebbles shooting out form underneath the tires. That meant we were on a dirt road.

     About a tearful hour later, the car squealed to a stop. The car door opened and was slammed shut. His feet were crunching against the gravel as he walked to the back of the car. My heart was beating out of my chest. The trunk opened and there was the same man back at the hospital. He changed, took a shower, and shaved.

     He smiled, rotted teeth showing, and grabbed my arm. As he hauled me out, he bound my hands and covered my mouth with a smooth, silky cloth. I couldn’t see anything except a few old oaks, and a run down log cabin that had moss and weeds slinking their way up the sides. As we got closer I noticed a small pond behind the cabin, with a dock that went out about ten feet and than collapsed on itself from years of rotting wood.

     He opened the front door with a few creeks and moans. Inside, the stench of B.O and grease filled my nose and lungs. There was a flickering, yellow light in the middle of ceiling. In the middle of the dank room was three figures tied up, backs against each other. One of them looked up, and smiled. It was Devon, my boyfriend. He whispered something to the other figures and their heads looked up quickly. It was the dirty worn faces of my parents. Their faces looked relieved and terrified at the same time.

     “I brought another friend for you guys.” The man said, a wicked smile on his face.

     He threw me to the ground, and I quickly inched towards the familiar faces. My mom kissed me on the forehead, and me dad rested his chin on my head. The man looked at the touching scene, and something wavered over his face, like this looked familiar.

     “Alright, your little get together time is up. I need to talk to this little chick for a second.” He pointed a long, boney finger in my direction.

     “She isn’t your chick! She’s not your anything.” Said Devon, acid in his voice. The man marched towards him looking like he wanted to kill him. I quickly slithered in front of him protectively. The man thought this was amusing as he smiled this creepy way. He bent down, grabbed my arm, and hauled me to my feet. He had a tight grip. I winced when he pushed me out the door. Out side was peaceful, and serene. There was an owl on one of the branches, sending an ominous hooing in the dark, clouded sky.

     He took me over to the dock and threw me on the ground, again. I yelped and tried to pull a stick out underneath my butt, but failed when he kicked me over.

“What do you want from me, and my family?” I said, my voice wavering and cracking from the lack of water.

“It’s not what I want from you, it’s what I want you to do.” He was pacing back and forth, his feet setting into the mud a couple times.

“I don’t understand”

“I’m going to give you a simple list that you have to do. You are going to do what I told you on that note, and a few other things.” His nasty smile grew wider, revealing more rotting teeth.

“I want you to take care of a few people. As in, kill them. Every time you do something wrong, one of those people in there will die. Three strikes, you’re dead.” He almost spat out the word dead.

     He looked at me, waiting for me to say something. A look of disgust took over my face. Why do people kill each other?

“I’m guessing if I refuse I die, as well as the other people in there?”

“Wow, pretty and smart.”

     I thought about it for a couple minutes. I don’t want to kill people. Then again I don’t want to die. A couple of tears escaped my eyes. How had everything gone from perfect, to this in a matter of hours?

“I’m waiting.” He said

“Fine, I’ll do it.”        

Don't forget to comment at the bottom! Next chapter coming soon.