The Runaway Ch.4

hey everyone! it's a monday and i'm super tired :/ so what else am i going to do on a monday when i have a crap load of homework you might ask??? that's right, i'm going to write another chapter. heres you go!!!!

    He smiled, and said “I knew you would. Put this on.”

    He threw a gray jumpsuit at me that had the number 19 on the back. My arm was stinging from when he pushed me down because I landed on a rock. The blood clot in my ankle must have busted, because it was bleeding, too. He grabbed my arm, lifted me up, and pushed me back into the cabin. I stumbled in and sat down by my parents. He went over and untied my parents and Devon. After he threw some sort of meat in our direction, he left.

“I’m so sorry.” I whispered.

“For what, you didn’t do this. What did he say to you?” Asked my dad.

“He said…..” I stopped and started crying. My mom crawled over and wiped the tears from my eyes and I tried to talk again.

“He said that I have to kill people for him. Every time I screw up, or don’t kill someone, one of you will die. After all three of you die, I die.”

     They all looked at me with shock. Everyone was silent, there wasn’t even a cricket chirping from the waist high grass outside. The moon was shinning through a whole in the ceiling. My eyes were adjusting to darkness, now I could see in the corner of the room on the ceiling was a video camera.

“Don’t look now,” I whispered without looking at the camera “But we’re on camera.”

“We know. Why do you think we haven’t tried to escape yet?” asked Devon.

     I shrugged. What am I going to do? I looked around, even though there was nothing there. The meat was starting to stink, flies started to swarm. What was with the meat anyway? My mom looked at the camera, and slowly made her way to the meat. As soon as she reached it her stomach growled. She shooed the flies away, grabbed the meat, and crawled back to us.

“Mom, we’re not gonna eat that are we?”

“It’s either this, or starve.” She shoved the meat at me and Devon.

“You guys eat first.”

     I took the meat into my hands. It was warm and soft. It smelt like a dead animal on the side of the road after laying there for a week in the sun. Devon took it and shrugged. He took a bite and chewed for a minute or two and finally swallowed. I couldn’t take it. I stood up ran to the corner and threw up. After I was finished I noticed that in the other corner there was a lumpy shape. I moved slowly over. It was a mattress. It had a few red stains, that I didn’t want to know how they got there, and a dead rat on it. I kicked the rat and dragged the mattress over.

“What is that?” asked my dad.

“It’s a mattress. I found it in the corner.”

     I laid it on the floor and sat on it. Oddly, it was comfortable. I slumped over and went to sleep almost immediately.

     When I woke up there was a warm arm over my back. I lifted my head up. It’s Devon, I smiled and then the smell hit me. Where was I? I looked around at the small wet cabin. My heart dropped. Then I remembered the glass, the hospital, the bad teeth, the pond, the blood. I shivered and sat up. My parents were asleep next to the mattress.

     The sunlight shone through the whole in the ceiling and hit a spot on the floor. I slowly walked over and sat in the sunlight. It was comforting and warm. I rested my head on my legs. My ankle stopped bleeding. I unwrapped the now brown and dirty cloth. My cut was pretty deep. It had turned purple around the edge of the cut and a small amount of puss was leaking out. Great, it was infected. I wrapped it back up. I couldn’t cry anymore. I was starving and so thirsty.

     I heard shuffling and looked up. Devon was walking over. As soon as he hit the sunlight the light seemed to bounce off of his long golden blond hair. He smiled.

“How can you be smiling at a time like this?”

“I can smile because I know that you’re safe. Also, I’m with you so that I can protect you.” He smiled again.

“What’s wrong with your ankle?”

“Cut it on glass. It’s getting infect….” At that moment a squeal came from the same corner as the camera.

“Good morning.” Said a voice, his voice. “I hope I didn’t wake you. Today is the day I take Elisa to the doctor, and so that she can take care of my first task.” I could hear the smile in his voice. “Seeya in a bit.” The squeak came again and his voice was gone.

     My parents sat up and rubbed there eyes. I heard the same crunching of tires coming up the long dirt driveway. The car squealed to a stop. The car door opened and closed. The footsteps stopped at the door, the doorknob jiggled. Here we go.

Thanks for reading :D don't forget to comment below