Chapter 24 - The Dress

The police started to raid more buildings and homes which were linked to Gerrard, Jeremy or Luka.  The news we got from them, every now and then, was not optimistic.  There were no signs of them other than having spent some time at Luka’s basement.

Isla hadn’t been seen or heard of for weeks.  I had to laugh, when I first met her I prayed not to hear her singing in the mornings, thinking I was crazy.  Now I hoped and wished to hear her voice, to see her vibrant red hair or glittering green tail.

Ivy was itching to get out of her bandages for good as Prom seemed to near as did Graduation.  Everyone seemed to have forgotten about that.  The excitement of Prom had taken over everyone’s minds.

Exactly four weeks were left when my and I posse – Ty’s girlfriend, Cherie, included – went dress shopping.  Ivy, unhappily, had to deal with trying on clothes with the big ugly bandage on her fragile head.

“Well, I can’t wear the silky grey dress ‘cause if I’ve still got this stupid cap thing on my head, I’m going to look like a giant mushroom.” She complained.

“But you look really nice in the grey dress.” I assured her.

“I don’t want to look nice, Reese.” She said scandalised.  “I want to look incredible.”

“Well, I liked you in the strapless wine coloured dress.” Shauna offered.

“May be we’re approaching this all wrong.” Kerri suggested.

“Yes, I agree.  What colour would you like, ideally?” Cherie asked.

“I want crimson.  Not wine,” she moaned at Shauna, “or burgundy.  I want pure drop dead gorgeous crimson.”

“Might I show you some of our red dresses?” the saleslady offered.

She dashed around the room and pulling out all dresses that were the right shade of red Ivy was looking for.  Ivy tried each one on, casting most aside, until she was left with her favourite three to choose from.

One of the frocks hung from it’s hanger against the door.  It was quite simple.  Just a full length red dress with a satin skirt.  The second dress hung from another hanger; it had cap sleeves and a small frilly collar with matching bolero.  The third dress was still on Ivy as she came out spinning to show how much it fanned out when she moved.

The neckline was sweetheart style but it was also a halter neck made from black ribbon.  The back plunged low, revealing and daring but still managed to remain classy.  The skirt was full length too with little black sparkling beads at its foot.

“I’m not so sure about the one with the collar after seeing it on for a second time.” She said to the saleslady who took the dress away.  “So which one?”

“The one on the hanger seems a little boring.” Shauna said, hesitantly.

“Yeah, I thought as much.” Ivy sighed as the saleslady took the first dress away.  “So this is the one, right?”

“Yes, definitely.” Kerri said encouragingly.

“Are you sure?  It’s not too… flashy, is it?”

This question seemed directed to me, so I answered, “In the best way possibly, Ivy, you look like a James Bond girl.”

“Those, right there, are the magic words.” She said happily.

Ivy paid for the dress, matching shoes and accessories whilst the rest of us looked for our own.

“So what about you, Reese?” Cherie asked.  “Have you seen something you like?”